schristie

Jul 21, 2001
G’day all.

I’m in the proces of buying a new (secondhand) bike. I’m thinking of either a 2001 KTM 250EXC or a Yami. 2001 WR400. I have experience with 250cc MX bikes but have never owned or riden a big bore four stroke for any great period of time. I have considered the WR250F but I think the power drop from a 250 MXer and for a bloke my size would be bit of a dissapoinment.

I’m an average rider (ie. C grade), I am 185cm (6”) tall and weigth about 92kg (210 pounds). My riding terrain consists of about 50% tight sigle track with snotty steep hils and 50% open fire trails etc. with the ocasioal spin about the loal mx track for a bit of fun.

The way I see it the KTM is the lighter and more nimble bike. I hear that the power is very smooth and tractable.

I have never ridden a WR400 so I don’t have any real idea what the power is like (I’ve read the 2001 is relatively smooth). I hear that they make heps of it in the mid to top but don’t like to “chug” at lo RPM. The main thing that concenrs me with the WR is the weight – how does it tackle snotty steep tight terrain? Does the weight make the bike hard to handle in the bush etc?

My other question concerns maintance on the WR. I imagine the KTM would be similar to any other 2 stroke I have owned but have no idead what the WR would be like? Apprt for normal maintinace do they require re-bilds often etc?

And just incase you a re still reading one more question. Are there any mechanical worries I should look for when buying a WR secondhand?

I'm just wanting to hear any bodies impressions of the bikes in question.

Thanks for your help people.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom