Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
I just picked up a 2005 Yamaha WR450 - the bike was started at the dealer before leaving with no problem. I trialered the bike home about 10 miles and went to start it with no luck - I first tried the automatic start which I think I drained the battery because it just clicks and then tried to kickstart with no luck. The weather has been very cold in Michigan. I put the bike inside this evening and after waiting 4 hours was able to kick start it but I needed the choke open for it to run - the battery is still dead for the auto start.

Will the battery come back to life or do I need to recharge? Should this bike be this tough to deal with in the cold? Finally, it says not to touch the throttle while starting but this actually worked when I was kicking it - ? Thanks from the new stupid bike owner.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
not a stupid bike owner a darn stupid bike configuration. The bike is basicly a YZ that has been butchered up to try and make it sound like it is something more than what it is but.... it is still a butchered up YZ.

CHarge the battery it will not pick itself up completely, the charging system is fairly lame by itself, YOu can pick up a little bit more juice buy doing a "shunt to ground" or by sending your stator to baja designs or someone for like 20$. The carberator is confused and the more I read about them the more I get confused, pilot jets/starter jets BK mods etc etc. Usually the pilot jet controls how easy it is too start but the keihin FCR carb has its own starting circuit jet.It sounds like it it needs to be richened for easier starting.
Always shut the fuel off when transporting,my 2004 doesnt like the electric start until after the bike is warmed up so I fire it up by foot at first then use the electric start when I am stalling it out on the trails,; fuel on, choke on , give a twist of the throttle, find top dead center,this is when the kickstarter starts to get hard to push, as soon as it eases up a little bring the kickstarter all the way back up ,grab the front brake master cylinder,prevents you from twisting the throttle in the two stroke kick &twist fashion, and give it a good healthy boot. as it gets colder you might have to give a couple twists of throttle. pay attention to what works you will find out the personality of your bike might recquire no twist at 50 degrees 1 twist at 40 2 twists at 30 etc.. No choke when warm possibly hot start when you drop the bike

Do not lose the factory supplied spark plug tool that goofy little thing can take out the plug without having to remove the tank, but nothing else I have found will. If you want the bike to run right and you have faith in your mechanical skills, get the YZ exhaust cam 180$ GYT insert 60$ and start off with the stock yz jets and needle probably another 60$ and the bike will take on a whole new personality and run the way it is meant to run, don 't be upset because it would of costed you more if you bought the yz and tried to add an electric start,5 gear WR trans and lights.
I am not sure how much the 05 air pump affects things but those are my thoughts on the 04 and earlier models WR

Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
Thank you for your help this is great feedback. I am not mechanical (yet) but will look to make the changes you suggested - I think I will wait until the spring and get a chance to ride the bike as is for a little while. The starting directions are also great, Thanks!

Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
Not sure what Jetted means? I would say no though given that it has not been modified at all - still factory setup. Sounds like I should keep it in the garage for a few months? Thanks

bobit490

Jan 24, 2005
jetted means that the "jets" in the carb. have been changed for the weather. jets are what supply the fuel to your motor. in cold weather the bike is going to want more fuel. and the battery most likely wasn't properly charged at the dealer. i work in a shop and this happens all the time. get it "fully" charged and invest in a "Battery Tender." it come woth a quick disconnect so you won't have to keep removing the battery to charge it. you can plug it in and forget about. it turns on and off by itself. and a charged battery won't freeze. but it will discharge sitting in the bike over the winter. don't take it out and store it in your warm basement this will also kill it. every machine sold, with a battery, should have a Battery Tender sold with it. get the Junior Unit and it should be around $29.95 at your dealer. and this spring you'll have a fully charged battery when you need it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
jmics19067 said:
not a stupid bike owner a darn stupid bike configuration. The bike is basicly a YZ that has been butchered up to try and make it sound like it is something more than what it is but.... it is still a butchered up YZ.

Beg pardon? Butchered up? :rotfl:

Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
How do you like your WR? I am 6'4" 230 and wanted an agressive trail bike - I origionally thought I was going to get a YZ450F but after reading it seamed like the WR was the best choice for a non-racer. I road a XR650 last summer and wanted something more agressive - I was told that the WR is a good choice?

Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
Last question - If I am not going to ride it for a few months - does it make sense to start it every other day? Or should I look at removing the gas or oil, etc? Thanks for your help - I am going to buy the charger you suggested.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I love my WR, it is a fantastic bike, handles well in the woods, can do a little bit of track time, etc. Very versatile. I'm 6'-0" and 165 lbs. and the WR is well fitted for me, (WR250F). I think the WR450F is a great choice for you.

I don't do much to mine when it sits for a spell. I might drain the gas and dump it in my truck, but other than that, it should be fine. It is fun, however, to go out and start it up, just to hear it run :)

bobit490

Jan 24, 2005
stabilize the fuel, run it to get the stabilized fuel into the carb, than leave it alone. fill the tank also. running the bike for short periods of time without letting it get to temp. isn't good. ever see the water coming out of a cars tailpipe. well...the same thing happens in your motor, it's a byproduct of combustion. when you run your motor for short stints, will let this water accumulate in the oil and that's not good. when you go to start the bike in the spring drain the fuel out of the carbs. bowl. you can do this by cracking open the drain screw or lean the bike over and it will automatically drain it through the overflow. just keep tipping the bike till you see the fuel run out of the overflow tube that's under your bike.

bobit490

Jan 24, 2005
oh yeah! keep the petcock off while storing. turn it back on before you do the "tipping" i mentioned earlier. this will flush the carb. bowl of the old fuel that's in it. you should do this proceadure any time the bike has sat for a few weeks or more. i've seen more fouled plugs, at the shop, cause the bike was fired up with a bowl full of stale fuel , stabilized or not.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
bobit490 said:
i was wondering about that statement, also.

the exhaust cam timing and the exhaust plug is an extremely low budget attempt at trying to make the YZ engine comply with the EPA sound recquirements to make it legal for sale.

compared the the YZ a stock WR450 is a turd in my opinion.Realizing that most people used to by motocross bike only for play riding Yamaha made an excellent high performance engine then dookied it up to be able to sell it as an offroad bike.dollar for dollar it is absurdly easy to make a horsepower brute of the WR compared to the XR 400 or KLX/DRZ but if you like the WR stock you will probably prefer to have one of those engines when maintance time comes around.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Ahh, you were referring to the timing and the restrictor. I'm with you now. I will agree, with those things unchanged, yes, the WR is pretty tame.

Old Man Rider

Jan 23, 2005
What is the petcock? Also can you give a little more detail on the tipping process to remove the gas from the carb - do you just lay the bike on its side? It sounds like there is a overflow tube near the engine that will expunge the gas? Thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom