RockstarSMP

Aug 9, 2006
Hey guys, I need some advice...

Main questions:
1) I've read some reviews of the Yamaha wr250f stating the gas tank/seat isn't as good for aggressive turns as it could be, not letting the rider get very far forward. Since the 2001 wr250, has this problem been changed on any of the particular years?
2) Should I just spend an extra grand or so on the Honda crf250x? The reviews I've read peg it as the better bike...

Reason I'm asking:
I have an '01 cr250r that I love, but have decided to sell because I want a 4stroke. I can't afford to keep both, and I want more range to do longer rides with some of my friends that do 100+ miles in a day.

I've decided on either the crf250x or the wr250f. I know they have less power than my 2stroke, but that's no big deal because I've heard nothing but good about both. I would rather get the Honda, but they only started making them in '04 and I can't find one for under $4,000 (not very often anyway).

Even though I'd love to have electric start, I can find '01/'02 (wr) models for under $3,000. Kicking almost seems worth it to me if I can save over a grand and not notice much difference in the actual riding. Should I sacrifice the magic button for now?

Thanks!

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
I would go with a Yz 250... 2 strokes dont get as hot as the 4 strokes... you could have overheating or oil burning with the 4 stroke...

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Josherichy said:
I would go with a Yz 250... 2 strokes dont get as hot as the 4 strokes... you could have overheating or oil burning with the 4 stroke...
How does this answer his question or help him at all?

It sounds to me like you want the 250X but are trying to justify getting the WR instead. Get the one you want or you won't be happy later on.

I just went through the whole CRF450X vs WR450 debate in my head with lots of research. I don't think I could go wrong with either, but picked the 450X. Hoping to get it within a week or so.

RockstarSMP

Aug 9, 2006
Thanks Adam. And thanks for the laugh, Josh. :rotfl:

After riding yesterday with some friends and their 4strokes, I've definitely decided that I want the magic button. Screw all that kicking. It's not so bad on my 2stroke, but the 4's are a different story all together...

I was riding my friends yzf400 yesterday and it's a wheelie machine!!! Even so, I'm gonna stick with the 250-4. I've always wanted to see just how good the smaller bikes are... If it's not enough, I'll probably trade for a big bore.

2001 cr250r for sale (w/ extra rim/paddle). See classified section...

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I had an 01 WR250. You can replace the seat and tank for around $250. Didnt have the e button but I never had a problem starting it. It was actually the most comfortable and fun bike I have owned to date. The only place it struggled was on long steep sand hils.

If I weren't 200+ pounds I would still have the bike.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Josherichy said:
:coocoo:
2-strokes actually run hotter because they get a power stroke twice as often as does a 4-stroke.
Personally, Id go with the WR. It has proven itself to be rock-solid reliable. The Honda 250F is still kinda iffy.
Also, the Yamaha has better engine technology than does the Honda (DOHC and 5 valves for the Yammie vs SOHC and 4 valves for the Honda).
I personally would go with a bike that has electric start. I wish my YZ had electric start. Its not bad if it starts on the 2nd-4th kick but when it decides it wants to be a POS and not start right away, kick start sucks.

RockstarSMP

Aug 9, 2006
Thanks for the input. I just put a deposit down on an '05 250x. The guy owed about $500 on his bike, so as soon as his title comes in the mail we'll finish the deal.

I like both both the wr and the x, but I was leaning a bit towards the Honda. Plus, this one already has [black] Excel rims, a full, Yoshi, ex. system, Boyesen Quickshot, radiator/skid plate guards, and I'm getting it for $4,300. I'm happy with the deal b/c I don't have to bother getting accessories for it, they're already there.

Mod Edit - This part belongs in the For Sale forum only

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom