Wrong size cylinder !

sherrif

Jun 23, 2002
Help guy's. I just sent my KX 250 H1 (1989 I think) engine in for a complete rebuild, mains, big ends, cylinder weld up and re-plate. The cylinder eventually comes back, the mechanic then finds out that the cylinder fitted to the bike is a '98, and is approx. 1mm larger ! So a new piston has been ordered, but what I need to know is will this combination be ok. I did run the bike for around a month before the rebuild (not very well, but that could have been the cracked crankcase, or the worn seals, or the shot bearings....I could go on !)
I look forward to you're comments....

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
If you just ordered a replate, they should have given you the same cylinder you sent them, not one off a completely different bike! Call the company you sent it to and ask them to do some explaining.

sherrif

Jun 23, 2002
The correct size piston for the repaired cylinder will be fitted, so it won't slap around, but I was more concerned about the stroke, as if the bore is approx 1mm larger, and the stroke is the same, wouldn't the overall capacity be larger than 250cc ? Anyone know how to work out the capacity ?
It was the cylinder I sent them, it seems as if the previous owner was a bit of a bodger....

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
This will be like putting a .040 over piston in. If I remember correctly you don't really need to worry about crazy compression until you get close to 2mm or .080". Worst case you will need to have the head machined a bit to reduce compression or double up on base gaskets.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im sure the 98 had a different powervalve design and the cylinder will not bolt up-can you post any pics of the engine?

sherrif

Jun 23, 2002
Just thought I'd let you all know, just refitted my now overhauled engine, and it was worth the wait ! I thought it was quick before, but now OH MY GOD ! I ran it in gently for a while and gradually started using more revs, I still haven't had her wide open ! Can anyone tell me the standard gearing (1980 KX 250), as I seem to ge throwing gears in as fast as my foot can move, and I don't feel I'm travelling that fast in top gear.
Thanks in advance

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
He had to be talking about a 90 ,a 80 kx 250 was air cooled with no power valve.

sherrif

Jun 23, 2002
Doh ! Yep it was an '89, I really shouldn't drink and type, it's not big, and it's not clever....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…