gurdy

Mar 6, 2005
I have 1990 KDX200 pipe, reeds,airbox,40 pilot,152 main.
love the bike very depenable.
My problem is that my friends ride newer WR's and EXC's, I have a problem keeping up,seems to be suspension more than a power weakness.
Would a newer KDX set up right put me in the pack or are these higher tech bikes no match.
We ride Pacific Northwest gnarly trails and hills.

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Chalk n' Cheese

Hey, I'm not sure why you think the suspension is the keep back. I have a 1998 KDX220 with all the extras and my buddy's 2003 WR250F just "walks" away from me. On tight tracks I can keep up with him or block him, but the open straights, I'm no competition.

Good suspension set up will always help with tractable power and handling, but don't expect a dated design from KDX to keep up with those guys. It's really a differnt breed of beast. I love my KDX, but it really is a chalk n cheese comparison.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Your '90 will greatly benefit from stiffer fork springs and Race Tech cartridge fork emulators for gnarly trails. You can cut a few coils off your stock springs to make them stiffer (free mod), but the emulator is key for improving response on sharp hits.

Add a steering damper, too, if its in the budget (you will be able to transfer it to your next bike, too).

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have a KDX ('03 220 ) that I am quite proud of, Mx-tech did the suspension. And Jeff Fredette did all the engine mods. I feel this bike is just as capable as any others in our tight single track hare scrambles, in our area.
If you had all the cash in one lump sum, the KTM would be great, but most of us have to buy things in stages, this is were a KDX shines...

gurdy

Mar 6, 2005
Aflica said:
Hey Gurdy...where ya from in the pacific northwest...im on Vancouver Island...noticed your a canuck too

I live in Squamish, I notice you have 220 have you had a chance to compare it to a 200

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Zerotact said:
I have a KDX ('03 220 ) that I am quite proud of, Mx-tech did the suspension. And Jeff Fredette did all the engine mods. I feel this bike is just as capable as any others in our tight single track hare scrambles, in our area.
If you had all the cash in one lump sum, the KTM would be great, but most of us have to buy things in stages, this is were a KDX shines...
Did you get the porting done by Jeff? If so any problems with it runnung rich or jetting??

Top Bottom