XR 200 does not stay running with choke off

skullbecca

Aug 15, 2008
My xr 200 does not want to stay running with the choke off. It had been sitting for some time before I bought it so I drained the gas and cleaned the carb. I live at 9,000 feet so I changed the original jet from a 110 to a 102. This did not seem to help it at all. It will only idle with the choke off and when I ride it, it sputters and only sometimes kicks in, I suppose that is because the choke is on. Is it running too lean on gas? or not getting enough air? or neither? any advice is appreciated. I also replaced the spark plug.

rebecca

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
when you put it away did it run.
Are you getting good spark.
when you cleaned the carbs and take out every jet and poke wire though the holes and spray with carb cleaner and air. are you sure the idle isnt turned down too low.
Sound to me the carb isnt clean enough or tuned properly. possible go back to the 110 I dont know though.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
check the clip on the needle valve. I had a similar issue. Took the carb apart multiple times but never looked at the slide and the clip. The c clip was there but loose and would slop up and down the valve.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Nine times out of ten when a bike won't idle, it's a clogged pilot jet or pilot air passageway.

Do as Dylan suggested and remove every jet from the carb. The pilot jet is a very small jet that sits next to the main jet. It sits down in a hole and you will need a small flat blade screwdriver to remove it. Remove it and make sure you can see daylight through the orfice. Also remove the air screw and blow air through the pilot jet hole. Air should come out of the air screw hole also. If it doesn't, it is clogged. The main jet has nothing to do with the idle.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom