tules

Apr 5, 2008
My KE100 won't idle without the choke on! When the chokes on it idles nicely and runs great. Whenever I turn the choke off it dies, and sometimes it revs high then dies. This is assuming I don't have the choke backward! The pic is below is someone could tell me! I figured up on the knob was on and down was off?

Also, Does anybody know what that rubber piece is next to the choke/throtle cable?

qq1iyd.jpg

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
sounds like your jetting is lean try a size bigger pilot and see if it gets better if so go up another and see then chose the best one and then check your main jet do the same thing but ride it and make sure it doesn't rev up high then die. there are a billion threads on jetting check some out.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If it has an idle jet, that sounds like the problem. If the idle jet is clogged, it won't idle unless the choke is on, bypassing the circuit.

tules

Apr 5, 2008
Moparman1539 said:
Wow someone else with a KE100.

I don't know what the problem is (never had it before) but the "rubber piece" is an idle screw.

How does it adjust? in out? I tried moving it around with engine running nothing happened. I dont get it. and Am I right about the choke being on when The knob is up?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Clockwise = faster idle, and out is counter-clockwise = slower idle. Uh, if its like mine, then the rubber part that sticks up is like a cap that slips onto the actual adjust screw. and its just spins without spinning the adjust screw itself. So you have to peel up the whole rubber cover and screw the metal adjust screw itself to adjust the idle.

kinda hard to explain.

And yes up means the choke is on, down is off.

Also try changing the spark plug. Once when it went bad on mine, it would start and idle, but if i took the choke off or twisted the throttle it would shut off, i changed the plug and it worked perfectly.

tules

Apr 5, 2008
Well It's running good now. Not sure what I did. I took the cover off the carb and the rubber piece wasn't attaching to the idle screw. Fixed that now idle adjust by rubber piece! and cleaned the outside of the carb up a bit. Then I put the cover back on nice and tight. I started it up (1st kick!) let her run with choke on minute or 2 while spraying crab cleaner on the choke stem and moving it up and down. Turned choke off and she runs like a champ!

Anybody know what was wrong? leak? Cuz when i first got it did the same thing. I changed spark plug ran good for hr or so then later staretd wanting to die again w/o choke. Now it works again! I'm confuised!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
If it has an idle jet, that sounds like the problem. If the idle jet is clogged, it won't idle unless the choke is on, bypassing the circuit.

:cool: There's your answer.

Your idle jet was most likely partially clogged and it un-clogged itself. Next time that happens, remove the idle/pilot jet and clean it.

tules

Apr 5, 2008
It's doing it again!! Seems like every other time I run it! It's been pretty chilly, that have anything to do with it? IDk what the problem is. Now it runs fine with choke and runs fine without like when I'm ridining, unless i let it idle for more than 10-15 seconds! then it dies unless i pull choke knob back on!

tules

Apr 5, 2008
I know theres a very very small leak in the petcock valve so whenevr I'm done riding I just shut the fuel off so it doesn't leak in the garage and it fixes it. Is that a contributer to the problem?

Blink-182

Feb 2, 2008
is it leaking in the petcock or through the overfill on the carb? if its the carb id clean that out the needle might not be seating all the way because of a float way out of spec

tules

Apr 5, 2008
no it leaks outa petcock. Well I put some seafoam in and turned idle up and it seems to be running good again. IDK LOL!!! hopefully it keeps running good

Top Bottom