tstorms

Aug 10, 2001
I'm basically a novice who rode an xr 75 when I was a kid. Had not ridden since until I picked a '93 xr 250 about a month ago. Ran great until today when I started it up before checking the oil and such before I hit Gorman this weekend. When moderately working the throttle the bike feels/sounds like it is going to stall for a second and then catches up. It doesn't do it every time though. The air filter is clean. Any ideas??? Thanks.

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
tappets

have u adjusted the valve clearance?? if not do that. has it got the right jetting? there are a number of other things that could be coursing it but the are the most known probs on xr

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
It sounds to me like a dirty pilot jet. Did YOU clean the filter, or it looks clean? I think I would remove the carb and thoroughly clean your jets. You should be able to hold them up to the light and see a nice round hole. If you barely see light, clean them again.
You can also get carbon build up in the end of your pipe/spark arrestor. If your pipe was never cleaned, that may be needing some attention to. You need to keep an eye on your valves too. If you hear any clicky noises, your valves probably need adjustment. Good luck.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I'd drop the bowl and check to see if the pilot jet is plugged as said. Do you run an in-line fuel filter? They are a good idea.

Be careful cleaning out the jets. I use a torch tip cleaning kit to avoid damaging the brass orifice.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
It may sound stupid, but is the choke on? Also, if it is too rich sometimes it will bog. Check to make sure the accelerator pump is working properly too. Good luck.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Is this place at a much different altitude? If so your jetting may be out. Pull your carb down and give it a clean like the others suggested though. It also doesn't hurt to run a fuel filter!

Top Bottom