Oct 23, 2005
Hey every one. I have an 92 xr250r and im having serious problems getiing the spark plug out :bang: . If any one owns this bike they know what I am talking about, the spark plug is in a very tight groove were i can not fit a wrench or socket into. Also the bike frame is right in the way. Any one else have this bike and have any problems, I check the manual and it said to use the utility tool it came with, but i dont have that. I could take the gas tank off and try to get at it from the top, but that shouldnt be neccessary when taking off a plug, right? any help is appreciated. Thanks, Pete.

MotoKing_1990

Apr 10, 2007
I have a 96 xr250, and know what you are talking about only my bike is really hard to get the plug in after I get it out. The cylinder head cover sides are in the way on my bike. I just rebuilt mine and I am having problems still! Anyway you should try heating the metal around the plug then pull it out, that should let the metal around the plug expand and let the plug come out. I know on cars you are supposed to heat the metal around the brake bleeder to pull off ones that dont come out due to rust!

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i think he means he cant even get to his spark plug.
what i have done is get an actual spark plug socket (they sell them at local hardware store) in size 5/8 or 13/16, cant remember which one to get. then stick it on the plug and use a wrench on the socket instead of a ratchet, the socket will have a hex shape cut into it at the top so a wrench will fit on it. try this, if this dont work you may have to pull the gas tank. good luck.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Motion Pro makes a special socket for the XR250/400. It has a longer reach and a thinner wall, I believe.

Top Bottom