Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Just a quick question on this if you dont mind. The stock air filter is a pain in the butt to deal with on the xr 50. My local shop sells a filter from Fast 50's. The bike is for my 5 year old nephew. Arm stretching acceleration is not the goal...just easier service.

If I add one of the easy to deal with filters, will I have to re-jet? Thanks!

DINGUS

Jun 25, 2001
It shouldn't mess with the jetting. I just added an FMF pipe and an aftermarket filter, and that didnt even mess with the anything.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Increased air flow does affect jetting. You just didn't notice it. You'd notice it once properly jetted. What color is your plug?
here is something to think of. Witht he cool Pod type filter you will increase intake noise. Not really a big deal. But you also increase the chance of splashed water being sucked up. Even here in Az that is an issue on a freshly watered track. Had it happen once. Kid next to mine splashed up water that saturated the filter. Water go sucked in and I ended up having to remove carb and spray intake with carb cleaner and let dry before the bike would fire. kept sucking in water droplets and water fouling the plugs. BIG PITA!!! Much worse than cleaning a filter!!!

minifig-phil

Spammer
Apr 6, 2002
I think you'll be alright if you oil the filter properly with the proper oil. Don't let Jasle scare you. but he does have a point if not properly oiled.
And yes it will most definitly affect the jetting.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
If I remember right, with just the K&N filter and sock replacing the stock airbox, there was a bad cough on the motor. Replaced the main with a 52 and cured the problem. You will have to play with the fuel screw, but that is easily tuned once the jetting is correct.

Top Bottom