JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
Looking to get my girlfriend started in the sport. We're both college students so we're definitely on a budget. If I go the XR100 route, I'm most likely going with an older (90-97) one which seem to go for 600-800. On the other hand, CRF150f seem to go for $1200-$2000.

The thing most appealing to me about the CRF150 are the disc brakes for both front and rear, but the price definitely goes way up. Is the CRF150f worth the extra $$$ for a brand new rider?

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'5" 110 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Not aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods/fireroad
4) Do you have any riding experience? none
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? no
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Have plenty of dealers except Husky
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? less than $1200. Cheaper the better..
10) Do you live in California? Yes
11) Your age? 18
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Brand new rider. A big wussy

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
JHNguyen89 said:
. Is the CRF150f worth the extra $$$ for a brand new rider?

Probably not. The bikes are so similar that while you are still in the learning stage it won't make any difference. New riders (and lots of seasoned riders) can't really take advantage of the power that disc brakes provide. So if you can find a clean XR100, go for it. Either bike will be a great starting point and provide lots of fun.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Finding an XR100 that's in decent shape will let you spend more on quality gear which will be money better spent. Adjust the valves every decade or so, change the plug when you think about it and keep the oil reasonably fresh and you will have lots of fun with that little bike. Lots of potential to make a fire breathing little monster out of it down the road if you want as well. Got one based off a XR80 in my trailer that is big fun for me & my 17 year old yet tame enough for mom to putt around on in her pink helmet. :)

Last edited:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
jb_dallas said:
By the way, I thought the starter of this thread meant the CRF150R, which would be a higher maintenance bike.

It quite clearly states "CRF150F" in the thread title.

Which i would think is better btw.
50cc's bigger and a disc brake for a bit more money?
Would take a bit longer for a beginner to outgrow btw.

Top Bottom