yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
I just bought an 03 XR100 for my girlfriend and just had a few questions.
1. What kind of oil do you guys recommend, and what is the capacity I should put it.
2. How often do you guys recommend to change the oil.
3. Anything I should look for with this bike. I live in AZ, and ride a CRF450 so I know about maintenance. I know to change the air filter regularly, probably after every ride, and to change oil often, just not sure how often on these little bikes. Anything else that I need to know about would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
I just bought one for my daughter and they run really bad from the factory.
What I did to make it much better running.

changed the counter sproket to a 15 from a 14 (stock is way to low)
pulled snorkel out of top of air box (under seat) and drilled 3 one inch holes as well on top.
installed a larger main jet - went up 2 sizes.
the air filter is VERY restrictive (way to many layers of screen) I plan on changing to a aftermarker filter that doesn't have all that.
There is a aftermarket end cap for the pipe that is freer breathing as well.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by yz400fer69
I just bought an 03 XR100 for my girlfriend and just had a few questions.
1. What kind of oil do you guys recommend, and what is the capacity I should put it.
2. How often do you guys recommend to change the oil.
3. Anything I should look for with this bike. I live in AZ, and ride a CRF450 so I know about maintenance. I know to change the air filter regularly, probably after every ride, and to change oil often, just not sure how often on these little bikes. Anything else that I need to know about would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Honda reccomends their Honda 4-stroke oil. Not exactly sure of the capacity. I used this oil in my XR for a while and got good results. I later switched to Bel Ray. I am very fond of Bel Ray and use it in my KDX for almost everything now. I am sure anything you get will be good, but the Honda stuff is fairly inexpensive and can be purchased usually at a discount from the dealer you bought it from (or at least the one I did offered me one since I bought the bike there)

Change the oil? It really depends on how much the bike is being ridden. It is always reccomended to check the oil with the dipstick (takes all of 10 seconds) and make sure you can't see those X's clearly and that the oil is a nice, rich golden brown. Not a thick, jet black. I have had my 03 XR 100 for about a year and 4 months, and I have only done 3 or 4 oil changes. It really all depends on how much riding you do. Just check it frequently and you should be good. Every ride may be a bit conservative to check it, so if you get lazy a couple of times, your good. Just remember, that XR is bulletproof! :)

You hardly ever have to clean the airfilter on the XR 100. I can't even remember the last time I changed mine. The only aftermarket thing in my XR actually happens to be a UNI Air Filter. I would reccomend going with an aftermarket air filter if its one thing you do, as allready mentioned the stock one is pretty assy.

I would reccomend picking up an Owners Manual if you don't allready have one. Did you buy used without one? I would reccomend getting one. It will answer a lot of your questions about the bike about the oil changes and type of oil and amount etc.

Aftermarket Exhaust systems I would advise to stay away from for these bikes. A buddy of mine payed around 175$ for an exhaust for his XR and was extremely dissapointed with the total lack of any real performance enhancment. The only real thing its gonna do for you is make it sound louder. Similar to your CRF but much quieter. If you want it to sound like that, remove the three screws on the back of the baffle and remove the spark arrestor piece ;)

But good luck with the bike!

DonkeyPower

Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by Dogman5

Aftermarket Exhaust systems I would advise to stay away from for these bikes. A buddy of mine payed around 175$ for an exhaust for his XR and was extremely dissapointed with the total lack of any real performance enhancment. The only real thing its gonna do for you is make it sound louder. Similar to your CRF but much quieter. If you want it to sound like that, remove the three screws on the back of the baffle and remove the spark arrestor piece ;)

Shure you'll be upset with your aftermarket exaust if thats all you do... You need to open things up on the intake end too. Do an airbox modification and lighten your flywheel...

Change the counter sprocket to a 15 from a 14 (stock is way to low)
Install a larger main jet - went up 2 sizes.
The air filter is VERY restrictive (way to many layers of screen) I plan on changing to a aftermarket filter that doesn't have all that.

If you purchase an exaust system for your car or truck do you expect anything more than 15 to 20 extra horses? Well a bike has far fewer horses to begin with so you'll get 2 - 5 extra HP... Its all relative...

Gman

Nov 30, 2000
Here's A cool trick someone showed me to make the stock air filter cage less restrictive. After removing the air filter from the cage use a propane torch to melt the epoxy that holds the two ends onto the center of the cage. Once it comes apart remove the wire mesh backfire screen. Make sure you get all of it out then use some 5 minute epoxy to glue the remaning perforated tube back to the end pieces. Now it will flow way better than stock. I would still recomend changing to a better filter element also. No one I know of makes an aftermarket filter cage, so the mod I described is a must do!!

KX125KC

Jan 6, 2003
My ex-girlfriend had an XR, and they are alot like Civics. You dont have to change the oil that much at all. Just check before every ride to make sure that its clean and good.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I changed my XR100 oil about every 2 years, it was a '82 motor that we iced raced. I ran it hard up until I sold it 2 years ago. Never smoked, used oil, and started in 2 kicks! They are indestructible!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I run Amsoil in both hot rod XR's in my garage. My son pulled a Billywho looking for more power on his '02 XR80 and allowed a valve and piston match not made in heaven. Rich & Eric did their magic on it and my initial findings is that the stock exhaust is not going to cut it any more. I have a Thunder Alley system on my 284 project bike and that is who is doing the little XR's exhaust as well because Bob's work really does make a noticable difference. You can order them with a Kritzman spark arrestor as well so you can still be legal for public lands. When dealing with air & oil cooled engines either stock and especially modified I've found that a top shelf synthetic makes a noticable drop in operating temps which is always a good thing. Since the little XR's only have a oil screen that you must remove the side case to clean I try to keep the oil changed on a regular basis. I've also seen that a properly designed exhaust helps the engine remove heat AND give better performance but it has to be more than a piece of eye candy which many of those available are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom