Xr100r Engine Noises?? (:p Im Sorta Stupid)

ThePixel

Oh.. Hey there! ^~^
Jun 11, 2016
So, Story behind this,
>Riding down street
>3rd gear
>Winding out 3rd
>As in Open throttle, close throttle, open throttle, close throttle, very quick bursts to get the bike basically screaming
>I do this usually but not to the point I reached at the time, I usually am smart enough to let off and shift, this time I was being an idiot.
>Yes I am an idiot before you ask
>After I got it screaming it did a thing and made a sound it hadn't ever really made
>Let off throttle
>Shift into 4th
>Rode home as scared as dog
Help?
(No I wasn't riding down a public road)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You're going to have to translate that into something resembling English if you hope to get some sort of a useful response.

ThePixel

Oh.. Hey there! ^~^
Jun 11, 2016
Okay, fair point.
I was riding down the road on my dirtbike in third gear, and I was ripping on my throttle pretty hard, I would give it a blip of throttle and let off, then repeat this, listening to the engine wind out, and usually I'm smart and I shift into 4th before it gets too whiney, though this time I was being an idiot and kept going, I felt something in my topend click or something.. I don't know how to describe it but it felt like something popped and my bike started winding down, I gave it throttle again and shifted into 4th, since this happened my bike hasn't seen any other issues besides feeling a little sluggish on the throttle, meaning it's not as responsive. Could something have happened? Im guessing something did. But I'm also copping it on the fact that I may have hit the rev limiter, but now my throttle response is different, So.. I'm confused as < #### >.

< ADMIN EDIT: WARNING FOR LANGUAGE. PLEASE USE YOUR BIG BOY WORDS >

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Your bike doesn't have a rev limiter other than the common sense that a rider should have. If you over-rev your bike the valves can have trouble following the cam profile. This is condition called valve float. As the valve springs wear this happens at lower and lower rpm. Valve float can make a lot of noise in the engine, and is really hard on parts. It could even cause a valve to hit the piston (usually the exhaust valve) if you get too carried away over-revving it.

Top Bottom