jamielucas

Aug 31, 2008
I have a honda xr250 american import cant get the thing running, it has run in the past but was a pig to start. syptoms: it has an electric start when winding over to start it keeps winding and occassionally backfires. things i've checked 1- spark plug 2- coil and lead 3-cleaned out carb thouroughly and checked. have held spark plug lead half an inch away from engine and turned over, the spark is strong and seems to be sparking every time. Carb doesn't have any adjustment for mixture but has alittle motor on the side that goes to the bikes brain. this bike is different from a british xr250r. Any suggestions to what the problem could be???thanks

jamielucas

Aug 31, 2008
hi thanks for your responses. i have just finished checking valve clearances they were not far out but adjusted anyway this has made no difference. i have checked float level seems to be fine but am going to check again in the morning will keep you posted. thanks guys if any other suggestions would be most appreciated, ill take anything at mo, its doing my head in.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Quite possibly the pilot jet is clogged. A thorough carb cleaning will rule that out.

jamielucas

Aug 31, 2008
thanks for all your help guys, i had time yesterday to have a play and i got it running. You will probably want to know what it was but to b honest im not too sure, all i done was made sure all the electrial conections were ok put the thing back together and hay presto. still a little confused as i had a strong spark, fuel, and valve timing was ok. Just hope it stays running now. Thanks again every one jamie.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jamielucas said:
You will probably want to know what it was but to b honest im not too sure, all i done was made sure all the electrial conections were ok put the thing back together and hay presto. still a little confused as i had a strong spark, fuel, and valve timing was ok. Just hope it stays running now. Thanks again every one jamie.

Jamie.

If your last name is Lucas, THAT could be the problem. :ohmy:

You're not by any chance related to an Englishman named Joe are you??? :laugh: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kiddin'. ;)

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Poor electrical connections can mess up spark timing with some systems, may have been your problem. I've seen a 6cyl run backwards with a wet coil also seen a TS90 run backwards after a crash, sheared the flywheel key.

Top Bottom