backwaterdogs

Jul 4, 2004
Never thought trying to decide between such two good options would be so hard! :bang:

I'm a relative novice(ridden many years ago, trail, never mx) and am finally giving into my son and will be getting him a CRF80. I've gone round and round for myself though (CRF230, KLX300, DRZ400, WR450, XR400, CRF250X). Isettling down between the XR400 and WRF450 and could a little more help(everyone on this forum has already helped a bunch!)

I'm 6', 230#+ and intend to mostly, if not only, ride trails with my son. I've opinions from both camps stating each one is a better handling, albeit have probably read more reviews saying the WR450 is a better handling bike. I understand this is the last year for the xr400 and sometime this year they will introduce the CRF450X, I guess to compete with the WR450.

When I first started looking, I concerned myself with getting too much bike, but from what I can determine the power on either is managable. I definately want an easy to ride dirt bike thats reliable. Love the Honda name and reliability...but the water cooled and electric start on the WR would be nice too!

What would you buy: I can get a 04 xr400 for $5300 out the door(tax, title, etc incl) or a WR450 shipped for $5600

XR-MAN

~SPONSOR~
Sep 14, 2000
If you want to cruise around and not do much maintance get the XR. If you want e-start or plan to race then get the WR.
Sounds like a good buy on the WR, the XR can be had for $4750 plus your sales tax.

backwaterdogs

Jul 4, 2004
Thanks XR-Man. I see you have several XR400s....did the air cooling ever cause you any greif and how do you find kick starting the XR400s?

thanks again!

XR-MAN

~SPONSOR~
Sep 14, 2000
Air cooling is no problem are long as you don't go super wild with engine mods. I have a 416cc kit with higher compression and no problems. Starting is sometimes unpredictable. Most times they start 2 or 3 kicks, sometimes it takes 10. It's only a problem if your physical condition is not so good and you crash a lot.
I find my XRs a lot easier to ride than my WR426, but they won't climb as big as hills.
XR's definitely have the all time best seats if you sit down ride.

XR-MAN

~SPONSOR~
Sep 14, 2000
Have you considered a DRZ400. I had the e-start off-road model and found it to be a cross between the XR and WR although it does weigh a little more.

backwaterdogs

Jul 4, 2004
I've considered the DRZ400, but some reason the Suzuki just doesn't appeal to me and really can't say why as I have no experience with one at all. It's probably because the dealer MSRP is gospel rather than a suggestion, I just can't deal with the guy.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
If you are going to ride mostly with the kids and want as little maintenance as possible, then I would get the XR. I ride mostly with the wife and some other family and my XR400 works great for chugging along behind them and it still has plenty of guts and handling to run with anybody else in my neck of the woods. For trail riding it is great. I have never ridden a WR so I can not say much about one. From what I have seen of them, they are great bikes and would probably make a lot better race bike than the XR. As far as starting, my bike is Gordon Mods only and always starts first or second kick. Very easy to start.

For riding with the family and no racing, I would have to say get the XR.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom