braap

Mar 11, 2003
I am thinking about buying a 03XR400, my first bike ever was an XR250 which i loved and was great to learn on, since then I have owned various 125 and 250 MX bikes and have liked them all in there own way, I ride trails, and occationally in desert and am a fairly agresive ridder. I would like to know what the power on the XR400 is compairable to, like is it faster than a WR250 yet does it get smoked by a WR450? I obviously have never ridden one and do not want to regreat it, I know it wont be as fast as my CR250 but that is half the reason that I want one, smooth bulletproof trail power.

johnmark101

Mar 9, 2003
I purchased the XR400R about six weeks ago. I ride trails and love climbing big hills, and the 400 has all the power you will ever need. If you like low maintenance and bulletproof reliability, it is a tough bike to beat. I am having a blast with mine!

braap

Mar 11, 2003
Thanks for the info, I am really excited about getting one, I was also curious about the differences between the 2000-2003 model if any, I noticed that a lot of aftermarket stuff goes for the 96 to 02 models but not 03.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The XR400 is not for the aggressive rider. It is okay for light non aggressive riding. I would go for the WR450, or even the CRF450.

DatOldGuy

Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by Red Rider 53
The XR400 is not for the aggressive rider. It is okay for light non aggressive riding. I would go for the WR450, or even the CRF450.

If the XR400 is not for the aggressive rider, who is the XR250 for?

johnmark101

Mar 9, 2003
I beg to differ. I ride faily aggresively and the XR400 has never let me down. But then I guess it depends on what you consider aggresive. I think for the average weekend warrior, the XR400 is more than enough. To the person who began this thread, good luck choosing a new bike, whater you happen to decide to buy!!

braap

Mar 11, 2003
thanks for all your opinions, one thing that is really pushing me to the XR is that it is a green sticker bike and the yzf/wr/crf are not. thanks again

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
There is no way the xr400 is not aggresive enough for someone. But maybe he's talking about aggresive as in jumping triples in mx, then it might not be able to handle it to well, but for doubles, your good. I finally got to test ride an xr400, and I am set on buying it. I just have to save for a couple more months, and its mine. From what I have researched and found out here and other places, the xr400 is the best trail bike or dual sport that is super reliable and easy matenance*sp* bike you can get. The 250 is probably a better trail bike, but the 400 has the power.

johnmark101

Mar 9, 2003
When I bought my XR400R, I had actually started out shopping for a XR250R. I wanted a four stroke that would not be too heavy and bulky, one that would be easy in the woods. At the dealer the 400 and 250 were side by side. Since they were the same saddle height, and the 400 was only 17 pounds heavier it was a no brainer! My only beef with the 400, (and it is a minor one) is that with the added torque, it has a five speed transmission instead of the six used in the 250. The slightly taller gearing of the 400 tends to launch you through the trees a little faster when hill climbing in the woods so you don't have as much time to make corrections. I guess as my skill level improves, this will no longer be an issue.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If you liked the XR250, you will probably like the 400 MUCH MORE if you desire more power. It is a great bike for what it is intended for. After a few mods, it will do third gear power wheelies and still top out at about 70-80mph.

It wasn't aggressive enough for me in the woods/whoops/sand and I sold it after 4 months. It's weakness is the suspension and frame in addition to the weight. Suspension can be fixed, but then more stress gets added to the frame. You can do smallish doubles but it definitely wasn't made to do that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom