shepherdblake

Aug 5, 2005
I have a '96 XR600 that has 60 psi compression cold.

My buddy bought the bike new and has regulary changed the oil (honda oil). Was driving it 30 miles each way to work and let it run low on oil. Valves started ticking (I think it's the valves) and now it only has 60 compression.

The bike starts and runs fine.

What is most likely wrong with it?

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 60psi is with the compression realease working. unhook the compression release and check again. it will have more than a 100psi gurenteed. (wont run with less than a 100psi unless pull started)
as for the ticking, prob. the valves , how LOW did he run it on oil ? adjust the valves first before getting all worried. if it runs/drives fine then just do normal maintanence on it and hope for the best.

shepherdblake

Aug 5, 2005
The compression release has been disconnected for a long time.

I adjusted the valves (twice just to make sure).

Still ticks - badly.

advice?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
60 psi is a little low to start and run fine. I would double check that gauge. But, dirt bikes do need to be rebuilt every once in a while. At least pull the head and cylinder and take some measurements/do an inspection.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Are you sure you were TDC before the intake stroke? I have adjusted Honda engines before on the wrong TDC and they run, but the valves tick loudly.

Top Bottom