Mark W

May 12, 2004
I recently purchased some new springs for my 2002 KDX220. I bought what was suppose to be .42 XR400 springs as according to my riding style and weight are the coorect springs. Here is the problem:

My old stock springs measure 470 mm and the stock spacer measures 89 mm. Add the two together and you get 559 mm. The springs sent to me measure 578 mm in length. So the new springs are 19m longer than the combination of the stock springs and spacer.

My questions are the following:

1. anyone know the length of the XR400 springs? I have read that they should be 530 mm.
2. Anyone know if XR600 springs will fit in a KDX220 front end?
3. Would these new springs be under a preload condition if I could install them. 19 mm seems a bit too much.

These springs don't seem right. The springs are longer by 3/4" than what I can pull the rod up to. I can't figure out how I would compress the spring 19mm to get the fork top nut screwed on the the rod.

Should I send these spring back? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help everyone. I know that these questions can get old.

Mark

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
My XR 400 springs were 530mm about. I do not know if XR 600 springs will fit in KDX. I would think that if you got the ones you have in hand into the KDX forks with that much preload your suspension would be hard as a rock and good only if you weighed about 400 lbs.

Net, you got the wrong springs by some error. Return them and start over. The switch to XR 400 springs is a nice move, and you will be glad you got them, when you get them installed. Ride safe John

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Purchased from where

John -

If you don't mind, where did you get your XR400 springs from? Was it Service Honda.com by chance? What do you weigh (if you don't mind) and what spring rate did you go with?

Thanks for the help -

Mark W

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I remember on a spring guide on this forum the xr600 springs crossed over for a few years... I even have a set laying arround in my garage... somewere....

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I have a pair of XR400 springs I bought from a honda dealer recently that I haven't got installed yet.

I just measured them, they're 540mm

The springs you have are too long

Mark W

May 12, 2004
Thanks Sean

I thought the XR400 springs should be about 530 mm or so. 540 sounds close to me. What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking?

Mark w

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I bought them in early January, but It's been too cold and snowy here to work in the garage.

Anyhow, I think I paid about $110 (Cdn $) which is probably about $85 (US $)

Another trip to the garage tells me the part no. is 51401-KCY-761

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Go to Thumper Talk and place a wanted ad for XR 400 springs. There's a lot of guys there that update their suspensions. I just bought a set for $30 shipped to my door. :cool:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I bought mine from a XR400 owner who was updating. Cost me $40 delivered, but I had some quotes from Honda dealers for about $70. I installed the lighter weight Honda springs, maybe 0.38? because I am old smaller and ride slow. Easiest and best mod you can make to your KDX and will serve to keep you out of the ER. Cheers John

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
what weight are standard XR400 springs, is their any particular reason for using XR400 springs, can't you get ones from Kawasaki?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Standard weight springs in the XR400s varies by year or group of years. I believe later ones are heaverier. You can buy aftermarket replacement springs of any stiffness that you desire and they are all of the stock length. To me the major attraction of the Honda springs is that they are longer than the Kaw springs. A spring simply gives better suspension than a steel spacer in your forks. Some members of this forum will give you a metalurigical description of why hot wound Honda springs are better than cold wound after market ones, but I am not sure a rider can tell the difference between hot wound and cold wound. You will be able to tell the difference between stock springs and replacement ones! Cheers John

Top Bottom