XR650R ? - Is there a "new" style of airfilter?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi All! I am helping a close friend work on his new XR650R and we are slowly but surely getting this MAGNIFICENT machine to run the way it should!! So far we have: switched the rubber intake manifold from the plugged style to open, changed jetting to 175 on the main, put on a White Brothers R4 and drilled a few holes in the metal screen behind the foam air filter. The bike has REALLY livened up!! A concern that we have are the little metal shavings (strands of steel wool from the screen) being sucked into the intake. The big question - Does anyone know of an after market air filter that will work on this bike WITHOUT this steel screen mesh material behhind it?? The stock foam filter has to have this screen in place to keep it from being sucked into the carb. Is there maybe an after market plastic piece to place behind the stock filter?? Also, are there any other easy mods that we are missing that would assist in "freshening" her up??
As always
Thanks a million for the help!!
Scott/Woodsy

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I'm with you. I've just recently purchased a '00 650R. There are 4 layers to the backfire screen, I pulled out 3 of them and crimped the frame back together. Very easy, clean and works great. I know XR's Only sells a less restrictive screen, but I can't imagine it being any better than a modified stock one.

I've heard about raising the needle (richer) to the 4th position, down from the stock 2nd position. I did that this morning and I'm pleased with the results. I think I still need to richen up my pilot jet though, soon I hope.

Also, the crankcase breather tube (going up to the airbox) gets smashed between the seat and the frame which can cause blown countershaft seals. I rerouted mine under the frame, up by the shock canister then to the airbox. I think the newer 650R's come with a new part number for the c-shaft seal, so whether it is the seal or the breather tube's fault it's hard to say. Probably a combination of both I would guess.

Finally, you didn't mention it, but did you remove the plastic plate and snorkel in the airbox? Good luck, and enjoy the beast!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Uni Filter just came out with a new XR650 filter assembly that gets rid of the backfire screen all together. Check it out at www.xr650r.net

Just a little FYI......the Team Honda desert bikes have holes cut in the sidepanel for more airflow. However, they claim there are only benefits do doing this to a bike with a hopped up motor. I don't know if the same could be said for a higher flowing filter assembly.

henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
look at www.twinair.com under application list
XR650R (BF and cage) '00/'02 150506c ; the last digits are the part no.
BF means backfire foam en c means 'cage' ; they usually supply an open 'plastic' frame. I think in the US Boyesen is the supplier.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom