Richard-XR

Nov 5, 2001
Hi,

I just bought a slightly used 2001 XR650R from a local dealer a couple of days ago. The dealer said they checked all the fluids and settings.

Took it out for a brisk 40 mile ride and I had the following problems:

A lot of oil is coming out of the airbox (bottom drain) - the bike rear section is covered with oil and I get a lot on the floor.

The bike shifted great for 10-15 miles, then I started having a problem with getting the bike to shift into 3rd gear, it took about 8-10 tries before it would shift.

Anybody else had these problems?? is it too much oil?

I'm calling the dealer, but in case they try to Bull**** me I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about the problems.

This is my first 4-stroke dirt bike so maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks for the help,

Richard

bhoth

Dec 16, 2000
Richard,

I can tell you why there is oil coming out the airbox. The oil has been overfilled. If you read the owners manual it tells you you should start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes before checking the oil level. If you don't, all the oil seeps out of the frame down into the crankcase causing you to think you are low on oil.

I did the same thing when I first had my 650.

It sounds like the dealer you bought your bike from does not know they need to idle it first before checking the level.

As far as the shifting problem just hope its do to the fact there is too much oil in there.

Brian

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Richard, I just sold mine after a couple of years.

Join Xr650r@yahoogroups.com. Got some super knowledgable folks over there.

There is a problem with the clutch bushing, an updated part is avail.

Your bike probably has waaaayyyy too much oil. Even after a short warm up/idle period, you only want the oil about halfway up the dipstick.

PS. Check your right footpeg bolts, torque to 40 ft-lbs. Recheck every 300 miles, replace bolts when bent....

Top Bottom