Xr80 Fork Spacers/Mods?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Fork Mods?

My little brother has a 2001 xr 80 that needs some suspension work. I was wondering if i could make a spacer inside the fork to compress tyhe spring, Like adding preload on a shock. I am going to put some heavier oil in there, to help increase the damping force.
Making the spacer would be no problem , I have not opened up the fork yet, this is kind of just food for my thought.

Also is there anyway I can get more travel out of the fork? Its a very simple fork, no adjusters at all and I'm not sure if its even shimmed

Last edited:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
engines only has (www.xr100.com) has a fork mod that they do to the xr...costs 175 bucks. Do you think i should call them or something and ask what they do? 175 completely blows the budget, (which is about 120 to get both the shock and forks done)

P.S. what weight of oil should I put i the forks? and does anyone know or know how to find out what weight oil is already in the forks?

Last edited:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
We went to the track today and I took a ride on the xr...it was not pretty. I went over a small single that I usually go over on my cr at a pretty high speed, theres a slight raise and then a 3 foot drop to where you land. I took it going just fast enough to actually get air, and not just plonk down it. I came down hard! The forks bottomed (I could hear the metal to metal impact) and my body slammed against the seat and bars. I was prepared for impact too! These forks have 5.5 inches of travel, and its very, very soft. My little brother can stand to ride it over some obstacles bigger then that without too much harsh bottoming, but he weighs 40 pounds less than me.

Anywho we really need to get this thing stiffened...I would really appreciate your comments on the air thing, i've pretty much given up on the spacer, as it would limit travel (would it still if it was hollow?)

Thanks in advance

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I know nothing about a XR but im sure its basically not designed to do what you want it to,the only fix is to try thicker oils than std at the max reccomended height in the manual-note the may slow the rebound slightly but its a cheap way of trying to help the problem.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
there are no recommended heights in the manual or service manual. I pulled em off the bike and pumped up and down on em and unscrewed the caps and pulled the spring out. the oil is the worst excuse for oil i've ever seen.
the caps are exactly like the ones in the pictures in that article they are hollow inside and there is no flange to grind down.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'm thinking more along the lines of 5-10 psi. An xr 200 comes with the same fork design (same internals) and air caps. Pumping them up to 6 psi made a world of difference. Were going to give it a shot. If we blow a set of seals, so what? Thats a 5 buck (and about 1 hour fix).

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
when I pumped up and down on the forks it didnt seem like it had alot of damping. and after I took the spring out and bottomed the fork I couldnt see any oil. Its reallyt thin black goo...probably the result of a collection pan under the silencer of a two stroke (spooge)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If you use air pressure as a extra spring it will rebound quicker and be a pogo stick-i would think about using thicker oil as well for more damping on rebound as you will need it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…