XT 600 carb problem or spark plug?

Quiksilver

Dec 14, 2003
i have had an XT 600 for about 2 months. it has been fine untill latelly. it splters and cuts out if you have too higher reves when it is cold. it will cut uot then only run on choke. afer about half an hour of riding it will then run whithout choke. however it you ride it at 70 mph for a few minutes the same simtoms will come back. once it has cuts out is will idol of choke but once you ride it again it will not idol. it never did this at first.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
up

Quiksilver

Dec 14, 2003
I think the air screw may need ajusting but i cant find it on this carb. also there is supost to be a fuel mesh filter, i cant find this ether.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. I would start by checking for things that would block fuel from getting to the carb.

First I would check for a blocked tank vent, because that is easiest. Just ride the bike until the problem happens, then take the gas cap off the tank. It should smarten up right away if this is the problem. You might even hear the tank sucking in air. If that doesn't work, go on to the next step.

Turn the petcock off, and remove the fuel line from the carb. Have a container handy to catch the gas that runs out. Something like a 1 litre pop bottle should work. Now, with the fuel line in the container, open the petcock and see how much gas runs out. It should come in a steady stream for as long as the valve is open. If it doesn't, there is a block somewhere above the carb. If it does run free, the next thing to check would be the carb. Let us know what happens.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I believe the filter is in the petcock. Is this a model with two carbs or one?
If it is the 2carb model you might be having a problem with the diaphragm in the secondary carb. I would also check the hoses connecting the two of them.
If the secondary carb starts randomly sticking it will give you problems.
Also check out the seat on the float valve, I have seen them give simular symtoms.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom