Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Hey guys,

I was trying to get my bike together last week in time for the holiday. (I ended up splitting the cases 3 times) It didnt go well. After placing a washer inside the cases that shouldnt have been there it would shift, then it wouldnt shift because of the linkage, twice. it was great, anway,
I didnt have time to get the right yamabond from the dealer, so I used normal gasket sealer from an advanced auto parts by my house, The bike leaks like a siv and for some reason it took over 2 quarts of oil before I could see the oil in the viewing window.
use the right gasket sealer, It saves alot of time and leaks.
By the way the bike never ran....Its time to split the cases again.
Anyway, any of you with kdx240, how does it kick over....Mine is difficult, and the momentum doesnt carry the piston through another revolution after you kick it, should I blame it on the compression, oil, or what ?
Thanks guys, Head the warning
Tim

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Sounds like a normal big bore bike with high compression. Has it been modified?
I may have the same sealant problem you are talking about after splitting the cases and using a high temperature synthetic sealant to put them back together. It don't have compression in the morning and I have to push start it. The only trouble here is finding someplace that sells the real good stuff.
I also used the same sealant on a head gasket with all the black peeled off it. I'm not losing radiator fluid.
UPDATE:
I just remembered theres a gouge in the cylinder lining about 3/4" down from the top which would cause it to lose compression. duhh

Last edited:

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Did you check the piston to head clearance and compression with the new 240 set up?

Has the head been opened up to accept the big bore?

I 240'd mine and it kicks fine but some machine work had to be done for the whole program come together.

PS. Hi to everyone, its been a while.....

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I hope you are using new gaskets... :think:

The only time I've ever used sealer is to help hold the gasket inplace while you are putting it back together ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Cases generally use no gasket a'tall. That's why the sealer choice is important.

Yamabond is generally well regarded and considered 'the' stuff to use.

Check EGs rebuild tips (on his site).

Re: hard to kick
Considering the problems with the assembly, I'd sure question the crank bearings and even the true of the crank!

Good luck!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Ohhh, I was thinking of the engine cover gaskets, I never got as far as spitting the case...

Top Bottom