Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I had a Yamaha GT80 for my first bike. All I can remember is it had 3 gears all up & it was maroon in color. I have pictures coming that I will try to post this week, they were taking in 1977 and I was 10 years old but I don't know what year the bike was. Can anyone remember what year(s) these bikes were made?
Thanks

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I have a 1973 GT80 that I restored for my 12 yr old son (his first bike). We finished last night. It is yellow and the gears are 4 up. He is pretty excited about his first ride :yeehaw:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I made a mistake it did have 4 gears all up. I am trying to find what year my bike was. My dad & mom can't seem to remember. The pic below was taken in 1977 and the bike was used when we got it. I know the later years only offered Gray, Yellow, or White tanks. I am not sure what color this is but it looked maroon. The micro fish(sp?) shows they offered a grape & brillant red in 73 & 74. Any help would be appreciated. TVRider if you know where I could get one let me know. I don't care what kind of shape its in I plan to restore. Thanks

Attachments

• gt80.jpg
    gt80.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 9,035

Stealthrtsc

Dec 8, 2005
i have this same bike that is pictured, the motor is taken out and transplanted into my pocket bike :) i am looking for some parts for the engine, let em know if there is anything for them

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
The mini-enduro (what Yamy called the original one --- 62cc I believe, but they called it 65) was really the first mini that was like a scaled down bigger dirt bike. Everything before that was more like the Honda 50 and 70cc mini-trails, with fold down bars, stamped wheels, etc.. My best friend back then's dad was a Yamaha regional manager. He got two free snowmobiles each winter to use for free, and two bikes each summer. He wouldn't use one of his two to get Andy a mini-enduro, but did bring one home for a weekend once. We'd been riding my Gemini SST 50cc 2-stroke, which was made in Taiwan from a Yamaha patent liscence. It was three gears up, had fold down bars, lights (though I'd taken them off) and stamped wheels, but would burn by Honda trail 70's even though it looked more like their 50. The original Yamaha mini enduro motor looked identical, but was noticeably quicker, at least to a twelve year old. It was also much nicer to have a real frame geometry underneath me, instead of a bulky little thing with some zip. It was more like the handling my Schwinn stingray gave me, which was the best I'd ever known. We pined over the thing after Woody took it back.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
My neighbor got an old GT80 fot his daughters though, and I was less impressed at 48 than at 12. Did those forks ever have top out springs? Or do I just not remember the thunk?

Is there any way to put top outs in and build a better little bike for his daughters?

Top Bottom