Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I got an '05 yz250 and I have stretched striped more bolts then all my last bikes combined. So far I've stretched a front axel pinch bolt, 2 fork clamp bolt and stiped the head of the oil drain plug yesterday! I've been replacing them with Honda bolts and have no problems with them. And it's not like I'm cranking down on them. I went out and bought a torque wrench that measures from 5-75 ft/lbs for the forks and i'm streching the bolts before it even clicks on 14 ft/lbs! It seems like Yamaha used cheap bolts to cut down on the weight of these bikes.

fast44

Oct 30, 2003
Yamaha=crap

I think you should throw out the vise-grips and claw hammer you've been using on that poor Yamaha and go buy some real tools. :ahhh:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
fast 44 knows all about the brand new yammies from the ktm in profile i guess................. :blah:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
all I have to say is it's the mechanic not the bike... The bike manufactor's probably all get thier hardware from the same factory anyways.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Haters aside, yes I agree that the hardware on the YZ's is not really up to par... takes a gentle hand. I'm color blind BTW.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Casper250 said:
bought a torque wrench that measures from 5-75 ft/lbs for the forks and i'm streching the bolts before it even clicks on 14 ft/lbs! QUOTE]

Casper.

May I recommend that you trade your Foot pound torque wrench in for an inch pound torque wrench. IMO, a foot pound wrench is not sensitive enough when you are only torquing bolts to 3 or 7 foot pounds as in the case of 5 and 6mm bolts.

I have to agree with that Okiejuan fella about the quality of Yamahas bolts. Having owned both Hondas and Yamahas over the years, the Honda hardware seems to be much better quality. Not a flame on Yamaha, just my observations.

Ol'89r

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The YZ hardware has stunk for years. However, it is good enough. The torque wrench is meant to torque fasteners that are dry. When they get oil on them, such as an oil drain plug, all bets are off.

I rately torque anything anymore and destroy far less bolts in the process.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, a torque wrenches are not accurate near the ends of their intended ranges. Cheap ones are really bad this way. A 5-75ft/lb torque wrench is covering a pretty broad range, you should look at getting something more precise.

APBT

Mar 13, 2005
Try using a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench calibrated in INCH/POUNDS for more precision, and you will have fewer problems.
When not using a torque wrench, be sure to use 1/4 inch drive hand tools on all of the small hardware, 3/8 inch drive is overkill on these parts.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
use a "nut driver" (screwdriver with a 8 or 10 mm socket on) or a 1/4in drive socket. you cant get much leverage, so its difficult to over tighten.

also, on the oil drain, use a fresh aluminum washer every other oil change. ACE sells them i think, and it will save you from cracking the cases.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I had the same feeling with the Yamahas I've owned. I usually kept a few common bolts in the garage for the inevitable stripped bolt the day before a ride.

KTM and Honda seem to have better hardware in my experience.

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
no problems with mine or the one before or the one before that.

I have had my 05's wheels, forks , shock, triple clamp, bars, clutch, water pump , carb, seat/tank/subframe/airbox, top end, swingarm all off of the bike and not one issue with fasteners/hardware. It is 6 months old.

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
For bolts where torque isn't that important I use blue loctite and only tighten them a bit. Now I don't strip anything and they don't rattle out.
Harware doesn't seem any better or worse than my suzuki.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I had the same issue when using the torque wrench with my Yamaha. Their hardware will strip out just before the rated torque - especially if the bolt/nut has any lubricant at all (even machine oil from manufacture). If you get any grease on the bolt (like around axles) forget it - it will strip.

My advice is to ditch the torque wrench and use the blue Lock-Tite or spray the hardware down with solvent and dry with compressed air, then torque to just under the rated amount.

Good luck.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Honda/Yamaha fasteners seem the same to me. I always use the torque wrench because I can't tell the difference between 10-20 lbs by hand and I'd prefer that things like axle/fork pinch bolts be tight enough.

Key is clean the oil off the threads if you are going to torque them to spec. I always reduce the oil drain plug by 25-40% just because you can't get the oil off. I only use loctite on shim stack nuts. The other nuts/bolts come apart too frequently and I hear loctite is abrasive and wears out the threads. It is also a lubricant when wet and can contribute to stripped fasteners/threads.

Had a Honda subframe bolt stretch the other day trying to get 20lbs. Had a slight trace of WD40 on it and that is all it took.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Maybe it's the torque wrenches your using? Our garage currently has 2-2003 KX250's, '02 YZF426, '02 YZ250, '92 Frankenstein'ed together DR350/'435', etc. I've yet to have one problem with any of the hardware equipped on these bikes from normal tightening and use of the torque wrench. The complaint I have of our Yamaha's is the angle the drain plug goes in at on the YZ250 as well as the 12mm bolt size (Kawi uses a 14mm). I also dislike the phillips head screws used to secure the ignition cover (fixed once the E-Line was bolted up). We also replaced all of the radiator shroud hardware when the bike was new to captured washer 10mm bolts instead. I still haven't striped any bolts on either of our Yammi's. The KX's I feel come with excellent hardware (at least our '03s did) since I didn't feel the need to upgrade any of the hardware. I use the torque wrench alot. I have several to pick from but my favorite one is a Snap-on with a digital read out. It is the most accurate one I've ever used. I find it hard to believe that you are capable of snapping so many bolts. Are you making sure the threads are clean? (no dirt, grit, etc.) Getting a better, more accurate torque wrench is the only other I can think of besides visiting a good hardware store and purchasing replacement hardware.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The following will give you some idea of the effect of lubrication on torque values.
20wt. oil decrease torque by38%
40wt oil decrease by 41%
white grease decrease by 45%

Always clean your nuts and bolts before reassembly use a good torque wrench and some common sense and you will rarely strip or stretch a bolt.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
It's not a fair statement, I've had no problems with my YZ, but the KX had a siezed chain tensioner bolt.

I don't go ribbing Kawi, I know it is neglect. In your case there might have been an over zelest assembler at the place of purchase. It's one of the services we have to pay for when we buy a new bike. :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom