Is it ok to ride with 3 front axel pinch bolts?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Putting my suspension back together on my bike and one of my front axel pinch bolts stretched when I was torquing it down. I went to the hardware store to match it up and the guy said it was a 8mm standard pitch bolt? Anyway, when i went to put the new one in, it doesn't want to go in smoothly and I don't want to force it. I'm going to just order the bolt and it if isn't a danger, ride with 3 pinch bolts till it gets here. Is this ok or am I an idiot for not finding the correct 75 cent bolt?

http://dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php/photo/6128/sort/1/cat/500

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I really think it wouldnt go any where but i would really hate to find out that it does. Also if it does go somewhere it will then cost you more parts for your bike and who knows what parts you might need. I vote lets get that thing together right before we ride it.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Why not take one of the original pinch bolts out and match it up to the new bolt you bought. If they are the same, put the new bolt in the hole that the good pinch bolt came from, and put the old stock bolt where the stretched bolt went. Just a thought...

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Get a new one or replace all four , actually Im surprised the bolts head didnt strip off .Those bolts heads seemed real soft als. If your in LI find a McMaster Carr store or something like that and they have nice new ones, they even have some trick blue colored Allen head ones for that bling factor . Ace hardware usually has alot of bolts too .Pep boys never seems to restock their bins . I wouldnt ride it if i were you it could break the Axle clamp or worse.

Top Bottom