2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Ok, does anybody know just how interchangeable engine parts from a 1975 MX 400 and a 1976 DT 400 are?

You know, the '76 DT had twin shocks, and looked very much like the '75 MX, only yellow instead of white.

Anyway, This is my situation: I bought a '76 DT400 to strip down and build as a vintage "cross country" racer. (new class in ARHMA mid atlantic next season) I later bought a '77 DT 400 which had a mono shock. I was hoping to use the motor from the '77 or at least parts from it for my '76. Turns out the 77 engine mounts are different, and the crank is a little different on the pinion side...so I cant make a complete engine yet. Not to worry, the '77 was pretty much complete, I think Im going to build BOTH the '76 AND 77.

ANYWAY, back to my question, the '76 comes first. Looks way cooler than the '77.
I am thinking of buying a '75 MX 400 motor, and wondered if anybody knew first off about the engine mounts, and also the top ends.

Physically every top end I have looks like they will interchange between the 76,77 and even a '74 360 parts motor I have. I am assuming the '75 MX is the same. (forget fin patterns and such, My 74 head looks like my 77 head, and not like the 76 head, but they are all the same mount wise... Im just intetrested in the function.)

I know the clutch-side case is different on the MX, due to a lack of oil pump, (I always tear those out anyway...)

yeah, yeah, I know, why dont I just buy another DT motor of the right year, but I am not patient enough! Besides, I wonder if the MX case had some shorter gears in it or something...
And as to why I tend to strip down enduros and race them rather than going with a pure race machine like everyone else...I grew up watching my brother do the same thing, and I have a great fondness for certain large bore enduros from my youth.

I have dealt mostly with Kawasakis until now as far as vintage bikes go, and I can tell you ALOT of stuff interchanges over a large span of years. Mixture of clever thriftyness on the engineer's parts and a related lack of evolution in the early to mid 70s! :laugh:

Thanks!

Last edited:

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
hmm I just checked and the wiseco numbers for the pistons -they are all the same, 76 DT, 75 MX, 77 DT etc..etc...so Ill guess the top end is interchangeable at least

DT400B

Mar 2, 2005
Not exactly sure

Wondering if you could make your own engine mounts? Do you have access to a welder?

Now my question to you 2stroke..............Since you are stripping down the DT400, by chance would you have an extra headlight for the DT400?? I need one and if yours works.(high AND low beams)........ I'd buy. :worship: (2STROKE)

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Sorry, I dont know of any. Im not into older bikes (pre-85) so I cant really help you OldTimer. Check your local Suzuki dealer, they might be able to order you OEM parts if they werent discountinued (that worked most of the time for finding parts for the 73 MX360 I once owned, but it was a Yamaha...).

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Well, I dont have any of the street gear left...it was all torn off already when I got all my parts bikes for this project...(sorry)

Ive scrapped the 77 all together...
The project is now down to a single bike, a 76 DT400 with a complete MX400 engine/trans (it fit perfectly!) Aluminum rims off the 77 DT....ought to be a fun bike! the 76 DT frame is really small and compact, and the 75 MX engine has a new 1.5mm over bore with a new discontinued Wiseco! Im waiting on bearings and seals.

Thanks for the links ideas on parts!

Top Bottom