Yamaha YZ465 Repair (Brake + Clutch)

DBR

May 30, 2008
Still on my search for a inexpensive dirt bike, I have run across another bike... This one is $300.

"this dirt bike is very dangerous it is the size of a 125 but it is as fast as a modern 2 stroke 225 the back brake is not working the clutch needs some work and missing kick start i can push start it"

It needs work, but how much? I don't want to get into something over my head. Is a brake fix and a clutch repair easy? How much would it cost at a shop or should I (if I got it) break down and buy a manual and fix it myself?

Is this a good deal? I don't know about these things.

Thanks!

Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
the brake could be as easy as replace the fluid or expensive like master cylinder worn, new disc, new pads, fluid, new brake line, etc...
the clutch might be just the spings are sacked out, or something is broke, or basket is worn... from 50$ to +500$ expected i assume...
the kickstarter could be just missing and waiting for a new one, or crankcase is broken and is just a way to hidden the damage...

you have to be more specific... it could be a great deal, if the damage is small, and of course, you could repair it yourself if you have tools, time and skill...

DBR

May 30, 2008
This is from an add in craigslist...so that is all I've been given. Thanks for the feedback though. I didn't know it could be so serious.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
DBR said:
This is from an add in craigslist...so that is all I've been given. Thanks for the feedback though. I didn't know it could be so serious.

If you can't do all of the work to fix everything yourself you have no business buying a "cheap" used dirt bike. It will just prove to be a money pit.

Save your money till you can afford something decent that is ready to run as is.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would not recommend buying such a bike.

Someone who knew what they were doing might be able to fix the bike up with little investment, other than time. On the other hand, if it was cheap and easy to fix then the seller would probably do it and sell the bike for a lot more money.

My recommendation is to save up a little more and buy a bike that is 100% ready to ride the day you buy it. A bike that is missing parts can turn into a real money pit.

Rod

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
ok the yz465 is a AWESOME BIKE. its a OLD bike (early 80's bike)
1. it has drum in the back so prob. just wore out shoes
2. clutch wise, you can still get every part there is for this bike.
3. all depends on whats wrong with the clutch
4. i loved my 465 !!! and there are still alot of them running around out her in phoenix

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom