yz426FUser

Sep 8, 2008
Hi All,

This is my first dirt bike! However I have logged over 50,000 miles on two wheels of various sorts so I know how to smoothly operate a clutch on every motorcycle I have ridden. The bike will run fine, but when I slowly release the clutch with it in first, it will jerk really hard and kill the engine. The clutch works smooth and perfect when the bike is cold. However this happens after just 5 minutes (even on pavement where its not used much or slipped) I can let the clutch out as slowly as I possibly can intentionally trying to slip it and it goes from absolutely nothing to slightly chirping the rear tire and dying. I dont want to give it a fist full of throttle fearing it will take off leaving me. I have tried taking off slowly in second and it immediately kills it also. If I turn the bike off and wait 30 minutes the clutch works properly again. The guy before me changed the oil after every ride and used shell, I dont remember the thickness. Any ideas on what could be wrong and estimated cost to fix if I do it myself? I am handy.

B

biglou

sounds like a notched clutch basket, although it should behave like you described whether hot or cold if that is the case. you can file the notches down and prolong the hub for a while, if the notches aren't too deep. do a search, i think i posted pictures of my buddy's rm250 basket that we filed, but it's been 4-5 years ago...

Top Bottom