yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Yes, my riding buddy is picking his up this afternoon as well and is going to race it tomorrow. He is going to run out and break in the motor after work and then swap out the bars,chain and put his pro tapers/top triple/ and scotts dampener on it tonight. I think he is going to be busy!
I will probably get a little test ride tomorrow :thumb: Can't wait!

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Well, I had to call my buddy to ask him if he broke it in and how it felt.
Here is the basic info.
  1. lots more torque down low.
  2. more power for sure - but the hit is a little mellower and deceptive. CR450 like.
  3. The gearing is alot different. 3rd is alot faster and it seems hard to decide if you should be in second or lugging a little in 3rd.
  4. Alot of the components look 250F sized. Almost like they shoved a 450 motor into a 250F frame.
    [/list=1] That is all I got, I should get a little test ride on it tomorrow. He also said this bike feels alot more open class than the 426 in power and gearing. I am getting the feeling a hot mod for this bike might be a 1 or 2 tooth larger sprocket to narrow the gearing up and maybe a top end exhaust system? He said the suspension felt great.

B

biglou

Dang you guys! That's not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear how it wasn't that great, flat powerband, no low-end torque, ergos were all wrong, felt heavy like the 426, etc...

Just kidding. Sounds like a great bike. Let's see how long I can keep my wallet in my back pocket... :D

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by yz250-effer
and maybe a top end exhaust system?

:yeehaw: <<===== ... SpyCam shot of Donny Emler

YZ400guy

Jun 10, 2002
Does anyone now when the WR 450F will be on the market? I'm thinking about making the switch to the WR side. I spend to much time in the woods to have a YZ, but I love the power.
Does anyone have any problems with fork seals on their YZ 400, 426?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
It is going to be a great fall here at DRN!!! Info - info - info, we GOTTA have info!!!!!! PLEASE!!! Detailed, mind boggeling info!!!!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I AM WITH YOU IVAN!!
Woodsy

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I think I want one too. Unforunately I did not get a chance to ride it last Sunday since the second moto was dragged out WAY too long and we left. The pits were way too full to get a test ride and it would not have told me much about the bike cruising down pit row. But I did in fact start it by just dropping my foot down on the kick starter. It is that easy to start. Revving the throttle a bit I could feel some serious low end torque. But I will get the full test ride on Sunday, so looking forward to it. My riding partner said he felt pretty used to the bike after 2 motos and even dumped it in the first turn on the second moto. It started on the first kick after that! He said the handling felt the same as far as stability and turning, but it definitely felt lighter in the turns and seemed to fly a little further off jumps and he had to back off the gas a little or he would over shoot some stuff. Looking at the fit and finish, it looks really good. Maybe not up to Honda's standards but very, very close. The aluminum oil lines look slick. Also, the head looks smaller. A new cover on the right side of carb is totally sealed and the adjustment for the throttle slack is up high. Very slick. The hot start is up top and spring release. Very nice. The peanut size tank looks small, but it is plenty big enough and the new shrouds allow for more air flow. It does run a little hotter that the 02' 426 tho. The new 4 bolt shrouds are actually nice. The seat is alot flatter. The new one piece rear master cylinder/reservoir is really nice and even has a sight window in it. No more guard to cover , but you don't really need one. Of course the front tire sucks for hard pack and the rear is just acceptable. One thing is for sure - weight is no longer an issue with this bike and it seems Yamaha only addressed issues that put it behing the Honda. I have not ridden it yet, but I think it just might be splitting hairs between the CRF and the YZF as to which one is better. But I imagine by the time I ride it on SUn. all kinds of "first rider impressions" might be out so we will see. I kind of wished they separated the motor/tranny oil ? but they do have the paper filter too. I wonder what the best oil change schedule will be for these bikes with 1200 cc's of oil? Cute little dipstick on the side of the frame tho. Re-routed clutch cable too and it is butter smooth. More info when I get it, like I said, I wish had one! :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Good write up YZ!! Thanks/keep it comin.
Woodsy

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
there were two of these rare beasts at chaparral yesterday when i stopped by. it is a beauty. clean. looks small! i didn't sit on either of them as they were already sold. one thing i didn't like is the clutch pull. it feels a lot heavier than the crf. with them sitting side by side, i tested them both. the honda definitely feels a lot lighter. oh well. the poor owners of those bikes shoulda picked them up sooner. now they'll have to clean off a fair amount of drool...

B

biglou

Here is a review from Dirt Bike Magazine: http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/detail.asp?id=289

I think Yamaha has gone very "application-specific" this year with the YZF's and the WR's. That's a good thing for some, but others will probably have issues with it. Personally, for a moto bike, I want a pure, full-on moto bike. Even if I can't ride it to 50% of its potential, I still want one! :)

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Was Dirt Bike comparing the YZF to an '03 CRF? Far as I can tell they haven't tested one yet. Maybe I'm too much of a skeptic, but Dirt Bike seems to go overboard gushing about bikes until a little while later when they adress the problems that "magically" appear on them.

Andres

Oct 9, 2000
Finally got to ride my new YZ450F. Man what a rush. Can't compare to orther 4stroke, this is my 1st 4stroke. Hope to dial in the suspension this weekend. Can't wait for the WR450F to get here. Going 4stroke all the way this year.

B

biglou

OAK-Actually, they seemed a little unsure of the four-speed tranny. In the link I posted earlier in the thread from Motorcycle Daily, they really seemed to like it. Go figure. IMHO, most every bike these days is just so good, and so advanced, that it doesn't matter which flavor you buy, you're gonna have fun. There may be a few tweaks to be made, but that is normal enough. As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll be trading the 426 anytime soon. Maybe if I beat Dubach at DirtWeek or something. Barring that, I figure I'll hold on to her for a while!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I have heard of some guys losing 5th gear on the 01 and 02.I wonder if that is why yama went to the 4 speed ,putting more meat on the gears takes up space.

Top Bottom