YZ 80 ENGINE SWAP questions plzz help

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
HEllo everyone

I have a yz80 1995... i just swaped the motor with a 1998 engine.. we cant get it to start... i heard its the ignition coil.. and i need to upgrade to a 1998 one.. but i also heard it might be the whole wiring harness and cid... can someone please tell me what i need to get to get my 1995 work with a 98 motor....
thanks guys

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You need to get the sparkplug to spark. Nobody is going to be able to say "this is the part" without having you replace an entire system which can get spendy since with electrical stuff you would want to buy new or at the very least proven pieces.

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
it doesnt create a spark.. and online the 96-98 year ign coil only works with those engines... so i got a 95 ign coil on the bike.. and me and my mechanic are thinking the 95 ign coil wont spart on this 98 engine

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Absolutely, you have the wrong coil. Don't be surprised if it still doesn't spark with the proper coil.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Change the ignition coil will not make any different if it was all ready working with the old motor the only thing that will make a diff is if let say the 1995 was setup as 6v and 1998 was setup as 12v then it most likey burn out the CDI but as far I know of there all base on 6v just like min of the other motorcross dirt bike.
To me it sound more like the possable that stator on 1998 motor is not working that if the CDI on 1995 was working before the motor swap but 80% of time it the CDI that has gone bad.
The CDI/Stator/Coil and wiring harness for the YZ80/85 as far I know of are all same from 93-08 don't pay an attn to part number that change's ever 3/5 years.

Last edited:

vampirsoul87

Dec 9, 2009
so this is waht i did.. i called the dude i got the motor from.. 98 ... and ask him to ship me all the wires.. cid and ign coil.. plus others.. i am going to swap the 95 wires out and put 98 wires ..

i know the 98 motor worked .. because i saw it run before they took it off the bike...

i hope this will fix it

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom