goc305

Nov 2, 2002
I have a 2000 yz 125 and weigh 190. all of the spring rate charts suggest the next spring rate up from stock. is this something that i should do, or will it be something that will have minimal effect. I plan on racing a few mx races this year.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Yeah, you probably should do it. Change your oil while you are at it. The process is pretty simple and shouldn't cost much. Are you bottoming your suspension with the stock springs? When I was riding my '01 YZ 125, I was bottoming the suspension pretty bad, but ended up changing the oil to a totally different type of oil and raising the oil level, which put me right on the edge, where I was bottoming every once in a while (good b/c I was using all the travel). I weigh a little less than you do.

goc305

Nov 2, 2002
I changed oil & fork seals and raised the oil level last week. I dont seem to bottom out a whole lot right now but was just wondering if this is something that I need to do to get the handling right?

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Not likely, unless you feel like you are compressing the front suspension too much in turns. The most improvement will be from having your suspension re-valved (especially for the whoops). As far as springs, if you aren't bottoming your suspension consistently, then you should be fine. Beware, I'm not a suspension expert, but I was able to fix my problems.

Top Bottom