Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
Hey guys im thinking about buying a new bike sometime soon, probably after i get my license. But i am deciding between a yz250 or the 4 stroke model. Have any of you guys had experiance with these bikes? if so what one is better and how often would i have 2 rebuild the 2 stroke (dont really wanna worry about that...). What would you guys suggest for a trail/woods riding and maybe some open field riding. I guess im a pretty new rider i have a 74' 125 that is pretty beat/dead... but i can ride OK. What would suggest and how good?
Thanks

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
That's a tough decision but I would go with the 250F. It is really easy to ride, and the newer ones are easy to start also.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
starting out both wrenching and riding I probably wouldn't recommend either for you.

The YZF needs a pretty skilled wrench, not b/c its a basket case, but modern fours need regular, skilled maintenance.

The YZ250 is a huge leap from a MT125.

I'd look at a used XR or TTR if you want a four stroke or my favorite for newbies, a KTM200. Its light, easy to ride and can go as fast as your skill level progress will ask it too. Plus, they are much easier for a novice wrench to deal w/.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
what does regular/skilled maintenance mean... what needs to be done? I am young but i am skilled at rebuilding and working on motors and other things. I mean I know what im doing... but why is a 250 to much? i thought they were good to learn on?
thanks

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You might want to spend some time reading posts in here... there is a TON of info about 4-stroke vs 2-stroke maint.

yamadog911

Jan 5, 2005
you cant really compare a 250 to a 250F they arent in the same class. A 125 and the 250F is a closer comparison. Any maintenance on a 2-stroke is pretty simple as far as a top-end goes. I have only rebuilt 1 four stroke, it wasn't to complicated but it was a xr50. With four strokes you have to contend with the timing during rebuild. Valves wear out on the four strokes. which cost a lot more than a set of reeds do and are more complicated to change. There are plus and negatives with both. There are a lot more 4-strokes around now days so that says something.

yamadog911

Jan 5, 2005
My 03 is great.The power is very smooth. And it has plenty of. I havent ridden a 04 or 05. I had an 2000 yz250 before this one and there was a big diff. in power and handling . The bikes seem to improve every year, guess thats why the prices increases as well.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
Yeah the new YZ250's look amazing. but they are also very expensive... all new dirt bikes pretty much are... but i guess thats the price you pay for amazing fun! i was allso looking at the RM250 how does that relate to the YZ250?
Thanks

yamadog911

Jan 5, 2005
I havent ridden a RM im years. If all your gonna do is play ride or trail ride. I would look at a TTR or a CRF they are less expensive and less maintenance like CR Swade posted earlier.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
My 02 is get a two stroke. 200 bucks to rebuild, no big deal. 4 strokes are popular, but from what I have read is they are losing populartiy with the people who actoually have to spend their own bucks on maintenance and are not dreaming of that "factory ride". In other words, people who spend their own cash and just like to ride/race for fun, a 2 stroke is the way to go. As far as disadvantages, just deal with it. If it don't kill you it will make you a better rider.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
haha hell yeah thats my motto :cool:. im not really afraid of wrenching on either, and riding them. I mean if the YZ250 is that hard 2 learn on i will get used 2 it... im not afraid to learn... it just looks like a killer bike and I am deciding between the YZ250F and the YZ250. Im not really sure what I want after reading the reviews.. i wish i knew someone that had them and i could hope on one... but to all those who dont think i can do it, watch me :moon: :laugh:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
(sighs)...I buy em' books and buy em' books and all they do is look at the pictures...

I can understand you wanting one of the sweetest MXers built, you are SUPPOSED to...but that doesn't mean you are ready for one. Remember this: most of us on this site and the free riding world for that matter can't fully use the power that a modern 250MXer is putting out, let alone a novice starting out. No disrespect towards your initiative or ability to learn, but a 250 two stroke is NOT a good beginners bike...no way, no how. A 250 needs to be run hard, cleaned out so it doesn't load up/foul and has a very strong mid-range hit...the kind that if not pointed in the right direction or ready for it can really hurt you.

If you really want a good learner, get a KTM 200 to learn on. It will putt around all day long, starts very easy, has a light clutch pull and when you get skills enough to twist it for more than a few hundred feet, it will damn near run w/ any 250 out there.

As far as wrenching on the modern four-stokes, if you have to ask what the difference is between it and others, trust me on this, you don't need the hassle yet. Only tryin' to help :)

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Vortex(Oldschool) said:
KDX200!!!!
Why hasnt anyone suggested that yet?

Good luck,
vortex

Thought of that, but I didn't think our subject would think it was sexy enough. Man, I've gotten flat schooled by hard cores on KDX's.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
Haha. nah it dont GOT TO look sexy thats just a +... who gives 2 sh!ts if the bike looks cool but runs like a$$. am i right? but yeah i just want a fast ass bike that i wont have to work on alot and will last me along time. something that will also be fast when i am a better rider. thanks

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
a 250 2 stroke will seriously stunt your learning curve, and possibly get you hurt in the process. Buy a slower bike, and move up when you can ride the wheels off of it. A 250F is easy to learn on, but a PITA to wrench on. After owning more powerful bikes, spending a year on a CRF250R was the best thing I could have done for my riding skills...it helped me to become a much more aggressive rider.

I agree about the KDX or KTM 200, both sound like ex. choices. I guarantee a KTM 200 won't be the slightest bit boring!

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
Yeah im liking the KTM 200exc, and the KTM250exc. But where the hell do you buy them? arent they like austrailian or something? I dont think they sell them at my local shops... where you guys buy them from?

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
What years are good to be looking at? Im assuming the newer the better... but is there any like flaws in the say 2004 that were worked out in 2005? thanks.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I know this...every 200 I have ridden , w/ the exception of a buddies 98, is mighty strong, w/ the 98 being a little short-winded on top but strong everywhere else. The 04 and 05 have great power, unbelievable suspension, w/ the 05 getting a more rigid frame. Also, in 04 all of the KTM two strokes got lighter...the 200 feels like you are tossing a mini around

Jun 1, 2004
Well, I am not talking on my own account but i havnet heard of many ppl getting the 250. Ususally I see someone getting the 200 or 300.
One more thing, i hate to seem like a nagger but that Kdx is underrated. I dont know anyone who has really outgrown a kdx. Also never seen one ridden or modded to its full potential.

Sorry its that time for me(gotta sell my 200 te get a 300exc).

Good luck,
vortex

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom