YZ250 water in cylinder

sdkinion

Nov 5, 2003
I bought a 2001 YZ250 last week. Took it home rode it 45 minets and it ran great. Stoped to rest and it would not start. Found it had coolant in the cylinder. I tore it down and found ablown inner o ring. I had the head resurfaced and installed new o rings. I also pulled the cylinder and visually checked for cracks and could not see any. I put it all back together and with a new plug it will run for a few seconds and then die. When I pull the plug it has water on it. I clean the plug and it will start and run a few seconds again. I also changed the lower end oil. Where is the water comming from??

sdkinion

Nov 5, 2003
I bought a 2001 YZ250 last week. Took it home rode it 45 minets and it ran great. Stoped to rest and it would not start. Found it had coolant in the cylinder. I tore it down and found ablown inner o ring. I had the head resurfaced and installed new o rings. I also pulled the cylinder and visually checked for cracks and could not see any. I put it all back together and with a new plug it will run for a few seconds and then die. When I pull the plug it has water on it. I clean the plug and it will start and run a few seconds again. I also changed the lower end oil. Where is the water comming from??

sdkinion

Nov 5, 2003

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
If the new o ring is holding that would eliminate water from that area. Water coudl still be in the lower end. The oil you changed was for the transmission. It would not get rid of any water that was around the crankshaft. That area is lubricated by the oil in your premix.

Dont overlook the airfilter. If you washed your bike during theis time, it could be possible. The rear fender dumps water right square on the airfilter on this bike during washing.

sdkinion

Nov 5, 2003
How do I get the water that is around the crank out??

Thanks for your help.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am thinking you would have to spray it with contact cleaner and get it to evaporate. There would be no way of draining it , short of tipping the engine upside down.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Resurfacing the top of the cylinder is difficult because in order to remove the scale and warpness you have to remove a significant amount of material that warrants remachining the o-ring grooves. Sometimes the damage is so bad that the cylinder needs to be stripped, TIG welded, bored, faced, and re-grooved. The head suffers the same degree of damage and most times they need to be replaced. On some 125s its possible to turndown the cylinder enough to repair the damage if the head is being converted from a domed piston to a flat top design.

B

biglou

Please post your questions in one forum only, not three! Thanks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…