YZ250F forks, why so good?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Switched bikes with the proud owner of a 2003 YZ250F last night. The excellence of the forks, at least compared to my 2002 YZ250 (two stroke), was stunning. Why are they so good? My 2 stroke makes me feel everything about the track while the 4 stroker was much smoother.

Can I make my forks feel like the YZ250F? Where do I start, spring rates are similar .44 for the F and .43 for the 2 stroke. Is the mid-valve less active on the 4 stroke? It flowed through the first half of travel smootly and then firmed up quickly. I'd hate to buy a 4 stroke just for the fork action!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Interesting question- i too would be interested in the answer-i havnt rode a 02 250 2 stroke(heard they are a bit brutal) but i rode a 02 250f and thought the forks were good.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think it must be something to do with the 2 stroke 4-stroke thing. even with my limited experience its easy to notice a difference between the 2 types of bike, it can be just a matter of valving and setup etc.

maybe the extra torque and hook up with the 4 stroke means that there is less weight ? bias on the fork when powering throught the rough stuff?

just throwing a thought out there, please dont be affraid to throw it back!

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I believe the 02 YZ 250 and the 02 YZ250 had the same fork set up. The 03 YZ 250 has changed little both base and mid. My opinion is that four stokes have more front end weight than the 2- strokes, the front end seems to stick to the ground alot more. (you will ware out a front tire on the F a lot faster than the Yz) I also believe the power delivery of the yz 250 compared to the 250 F's is a considerable difference.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Talked to a local tuner yeterday, and he said that the base valve assembly is different as it comes from Yamaha between the two. Couldn't picture that in my mind as I thought the piston and shims did all the work and the base vavle just held it in the right spot. He did say the F forks were alot closer as they came from Yamaha.

Is the midvalve less active?

Whether it was a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thing, maybe. Just idling through the pits 9 well going slow) you can feel how much more compliant the F is. But I read the F is 5 pounds or so lighter?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…