yz250f - front fork damping force adjusment.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Just general question, I've been riding my 250f for several months, Suspension seems fine, no problems with the rear. No problems with the front except the cased doubles, but anyway, just in coversation, I havent adjusted the front fork damping adjustment under the forks near the frt tire. I weigh 170lbs, it is still set up in stock form. I am looking at my owners manual (here at work!), I was going to toy with it when I got home and maybe go a click or 2 in, to increase the compression force, to stiffen it up. I just wanted to post to see if their was anyone same size, 5'11" 170 lbs that have gone in a cple of clicks or left stock or if it is even needed. Common sense is that it probably is up to the rider, but just shooting out a question. Thanks....

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Why don't you just jump a little further to stop casing doubles? ;) Just messing with you. I would definitely experiment with it. Certainly not going to hurt anything by trying.
---
Brandon

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000

Well, I was looking for posts from credible people.. your that XR guy who is breaking kickstarters on the YZ400f arent ya?

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Well, I weigh 174, and consider myself a mid-novice rider in that I do all the obstacles on the tracks I ride ( yes the tracks have doubles and everything;) .

I found this fix after clicking up 4 clicks: Change the fork oil, if you have not already ( a 5 weight, or the yamaha 01). Set the oil level at 120. When you pop the springs in put a preload washer in there. Set the compression clickers at 2 past stock and you should be in business give or take a couple clicks each way.

Ij you are still bottoming too often and are 4 clicks or above stock, I would say "spring" for the next higher rate, ( .45's) and set the clickers/oil level back to stock and start over.

So far my forks feel great with the slight mod's and seem very evenly matched to the rear.

Top Bottom