Jul 26, 2006
I just sold my Xr 100 (1998), and I'm wondering which bike...I've narrowed it down to the YZ250F and the XR250. I am 5'8", 125 pounds, and on my XR 100, my suspension constantly bottomed out and had not enough power. I'm probably going to purchase a used 2001 year... I've heard that the YZ250F is a great bike; peppy, fast, light, and...good, but it also has quite a bit of maintnence (not that maintnence makes it a bad bike). On the otherhand, the XR250 is decently fast (six speed I believe), little bit heavier (240ish vs the 206 of the YZ250F), and requires very little maintnence. I like to do jumps (practicing at them :) ) but i also do trails with my dad, (Moab, and up in Colorado Rockies), he has an XR 400, and its quite...big... but i can ride it decently. :blah: . I guess what I'm trying to say is, which bike should i get? Will maintnance be a pain in the butt? Should I go for high maintnance and a higherperformance, or less of both? (have ridden for a year, quite a bit)

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I'd go with the YZ, the XR's are getting outdated (but still a great trail bike, they run forever) The yz's are very good bikes. All bikes require maintenance,the extent of the maintenace depends on how hard you ride it!!

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
This is a difficult comparison because the bikes you are trying to decide between are so vastly different. The XR 250 is a standard play bike that is best used for trail rides and basic play riding. It can be jumped, but the suspension, weight, and ergonomics of the bike limit its ability to playriding type situations rather than a full blown motocross track environment. While the XR could be ridden on a track, it is not set up to do that and it is not competitive against the MX models in that situation. The YZ 250F is a full blown race/competition model and is meant to be ridden as such. This is not to say that you cant go playriding with the bike, its just that this is not its intended use and it may be too much bike for the type of riding you plan on doing. If you're hitting the track more often than the trails I would say this is the way to go. But from the sound of your post it seems like you will be doing trail rides and the occasional small jumps and natural terrain hits while out having fun in the hills. Both bikes are going to require maintenance but as a highly tuned race machine the YZ 250F requires more constant attention in regards to more frequent oil changes, valve checks and adjustments. Where as the XR can be ridden for a much greater number of hours without having to worry about valve clearance checks and as frequent oil changes. In my opinion if you plan to mostly trail ride with your Dad and his XR I think the XR is the best bet for your purposes. I think you should also look into the CRF 230 and TTR 230 both of these bikes are similar to the XR line but are the newest models from honda and yamaha respectively. I hope this helps some in your decision making.

motopimp

Aug 21, 2006
geez

bikesnob said:
Check out a KTM 400 EXC. Press the E-Start and go....... :nod:

You KTM guys are to much, how is that even on the radar screen in any way, shape or form given the original (and logical, I'm contemplating his same dilema {except insert '02 WR vs. YZ}) thread content.

As stated above it comes down to what you really need vs. what you want and what you are willing to give up/live with in either case. I have heard and read that of the "modern" four strokes the Yammi has the best longevity, realizing of course that the XR's are the proverbial anvil. I am trying to convince myself to get both and see what works best for me. The little guy on my left shoulder :debil: say's "yea do it try both" but the little guy on my right shoulder says... :whoa: :|

Bottom line, and again as stated above figure out your primary intended purpose and make due with the rest. You can "jump" the XR within reason just don't expect to be happy trying to triple with it. Conversely if you just want to ride and not be in the garage as much (for some of us that is equally as enjoyable) then factor that in.

Last edited:

Top Bottom