ZoomingM3

Feb 24, 2005
I recently purchased a 01 YZ426F and unfortunately it didn't come with a Owners Manual. Until I get one I have a couple questions:

With the understanding the bike is stock, what steps should be taken when starting the bike cold and hot?

I need to adjust the sag in the rear shock (I need to lower the seat height a bit), how do I do this? The bike sits to high for me so I'm thinking I can raise the fork tubes a bit and adjust the rear shock. Has anyone done this with success?

Thanks for your help.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
All things considered the 426 is an amazing bike but they should come w/ a disclaimer about starting them like "Your experience may vary" because what works for one person (bike, climate, area etc.) won't work for another. Be prepared for some of this :bang: until you get acclimated to the quirks, trust me it is well worth it.

If you don't already know how to use the decompression lever and how to find TDC etc., otherwise known as "the drill" do a search on that. You can't just hop on and kick away.

Starting when cold you will probably need the choke, although in warmer temps sometimes priming the bike w/ a few brief twists of the throttle works better. Remember this bike has an acclerator pump, so every time you move the throttle gas is squirting into the motor, be careful or you will inadvertently flood the motor (and wear out your right leg), although this can work to your advantage when the bike is cold.

If not using the choke it is a good idea to turn the idle up slightly so the bike will idle. Another good tip is to let the bike warm up for at least a minute or two (say, while you put on your chest protector, helmet, goggles etc.) before you ride it, because if you stall it immediately nothing is harder to start than a partially warmed up YZF.

Starting when hot is easy unless you've dropped or otherwise flooded the bike. If you let the bike idle for a second or two before you kill the motor it should refire easily. If you drop it, stall it, or flood it, you will probably need the hot start. If you suspect you've flooded it, a good "clear out" (five or six rapid kicks with the decomp pulled) beforehand will help it refire w/ fewer kicks.

As for ride height, I don't have any experience in that area, but it seems like you could drop the forks and run more than the recommended 100-105mm of sag. You may also look into lowering your subframe a bit by taking out a section of the downtube/brace.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom