fuzzys123

Jan 12, 2008
When adjusting the chain slack, do i match the marks on either side by counting from the front or back, because there are 9 marks on the left and 11 on the right.

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Assuming you don't adjust past the 9th mark on the left; I would set the chain to the proper tension and then ensure the wheel is straight by having the same number of "marks" on either side from the front back. I hope that makes sense.

fuzzys123

Jan 12, 2008
Is it possible that my chain is bent? When it's on the stand, and i put it in first gear, the rotation of the chain is not fluid, it seems to "jerk" like the back tire is out of line or the chain is bent. The best i can tell, the tire is in line.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
It would appear that your chain is two years old based on the year of your bike and the questions that you have posted would lean towards minimum expeirance in mechcanical department, no harm intended.

I would suggest new chain and sprockets and go from there. Once worn, steel against aluminum, they won't mesh properly and the chain will jump around like you have said. An old chain can be stiff and have tight spots from corrosion too.

If your not a racer and losing a small amount of power isn't going to kill you then get an O-Ring chain and steel sprockets, that should solve your problems and they will last a very very long time with minimum maintenance required.

Top Bottom