DC5039

Dec 14, 2007
Hey all,
I am looking for a bike between the YZ450F or the WR450F.
The main type of riding I do is bushbashing, riding around a paddock, and some motorcross.

Both bikes would be 2006 models. I weigh about 95kg and about 175cm tall (the bike being to big dont bother me, I am only 16 so I will grow some more).

So which bike do you think would be the better choice? I am thinking more towards the YZ as I have heard it has better handling and a more lightweight feeling to it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
DC5039 said:
I am thinking more towards the YZ as I have heard it has better handling and a more lightweight feeling to it.
it has a more lightweight feeling because it is more lightweight.

Do you want a light? a wider ratio transmission and one more gear? a bigger tank for your petrol? get the WR.

light weight and handling? get the YZ

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
it has a more lightweight feeling because it is more lightweight.

Do you want a light? a wider ratio transmission and one more gear? a bigger tank for your petrol? get the WR.

light weight and handling? get the YZ
Oh yeah, there is all of that stuff, too.

I thought it was all about "the button."

The YZ has better suspension components; the WR a petcock with a reserve.

If you get serious, either one is pretty easy (relatively,) to mix & match the parts you want. Except "the button."

I'd decide based on that; you can change the rest.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SpDyKen said:
If you get serious, either one is pretty easy (relatively,) to mix & match the parts you want. Except "the button."
I'd decide based on that; you can change the rest.

Other than the gear ratio, suspension, electrical and 'the button' they are almost the same bike. If you do mostly trails or bush riding the WR has a more friendly gearbox and plusher suspension but will still work well on a MX track. You can interchange the WR gas tank and fenders with the YZ parts and it will make the bike feel much lighter and smaller.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I don't see how changing the fenders will make a WR any lighter. As for the gas tank, you don't have to fill it all the way.

The big difference in the weight is due to the battery, starter and electrical system. the kickstand adds a pound or two but you can take that off for MX track use (and in many cases it is required to take it off).

that said, for a 16 year old I would recommend the YZ over the WR.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
that said, for a 16 year old I would recommend the YZ over the WR.
Yeah, electric starts are for old guys. That's wy I ride YZ's! :nod: ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I don't see how changing the fenders will make a WR any lighter. As for the gas tank, you don't have to fill it all the way.

I didn't say it makes the bike any lighter. I said "it makes the bike feel much lighter and smaller." The WR tank is much larger and wider than the YZ tank. The fenders are wider too. If you put the YZ tank on a WR it changes your seating position and lets you get up over the front end more. Gives you the seating position of an mx bike instead of an enduro bike. Makes the bike handle much better and the front end stick better. On the WR, the larger tank makes you sit farther back on the seat and you can't get up over the front end when you need to. This tends to make the front wheel push.

The YZ is a handful in the tight woods because of it's close ratio gearbox. It has a much higher low gear and that can be a problem in tight, nasty conditions. It also has a lighter flywheel and that makes it easy to stall in tight situations.

It all depends on what you do the most of. If you ride trail or bush most of the time, the WR would be the better bike because of it's lower first gear and more woods friendly suspension. If you ride mostly mx then the YZ would be the better bike. The choice is yours. :cool:

I prefer the WR in the YZ trim because it gives you the best of both worlds. Works great in the woods and also works very good on a mx track with minor suspension mods. The WR also makes an excellent GP racer with its wide ratio gearbox and high speed top end.

Just my opinion from having owned one.

Top Bottom