Jon H

Apr 7, 2009
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for a first dirt bike. I am trying to get a yz80 or other name brand 80cc 2 stroke. This bike will have to last me a few years, so I plan on getting a big bore kit for it somewhere down the road. What I really want to know is if there is a way to adapt a 125 swingarm, forks, and wheels to an 80cc bike. Any input is greatly appreciated.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jon H said:
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for a first dirt bike. I am trying to get a yz80 or other name brand 80cc 2 stroke. This bike will have to last me a few years, so I plan on getting a big bore kit for it somewhere down the road. What I really want to know is if there is a way to adapt a 125 swingarm, forks, and wheels to an 80cc bike. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Short answer is No.

Jon H

Apr 7, 2009
For me it might be cheaper to bore it and put on the swingarm because either I or someone in my family can do all the work.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
if you want to bore it out to a 125 and put 125 parts on it, why not buy a 125 and shave some seat foam and lower the suspension to make the seat height lower? bore kits are usually alot of work

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jon H said:
For me it might be cheaper to bore it and put on the swingarm because either I or someone in my family can do all the work.

Yeah, don't count on it.

When you're done, you're not going to have a full size bike..

You'll have a Frankenstein bike that's probably mostly not rideable.

You're best bet is to freshen the motor when you're done with it, and sell it.. Then put that cash toward a 125.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2stroker144 said:
if you want to bore it out to a 125 and put 125 parts on it, why not buy a 125 and shave some seat foam and lower the suspension to make the seat height lower? bore kits are usually alot of work

Unlikely that you'll bore out an 80 to 125..

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well NO you cannot put a 125 swingarm on it...BUT...you can put a big wheel 85 kit and extended swingarm on it. Especially if you look for an 85 instead of the 80.

A suzuki RM85L is the big wheel version with extended swingarm. This kit is avail for KTM, KAW, hon, Yam... Then you Can get a 100,105,112 kit for it and run around in supermini trim. Until you are read for a 125 this is an excellent option and you can find them already done 1 or 2 years old from an ex racer. Sometimes for a great deal. I know we have about $7500 in our supermini but it would probably fetch about $1500-$2000 now. It would make a fine bike for someone not trying to be competitive at a national level. But we are saving for my younger son before we get him a new supermini.

Top Bottom