jeffboulder

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2002
I have a question regarding my rear brakes on my 01 300 EXC. When riding tight single track, I usee my rear brake a lot so I can come in fast slam on the brake and slide around corners. Eventually the rear brakes stops working. After about 5 - 10 minutes it begins working again.

Is the brake overheating or what is causing this? and what can I do to stop this problem?

Thanks
Jeff

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
They're for sure overheating and you may be dragging the brake a little with your riding style.
Try switching to a higher temp range brake fluid like dot 4 or 5.1.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Definantly change the fluid. After a season of riding the fluid picks up enough moisture to cause fade or lock quickly.

DP or Moose pads have good feel and a heat barrier on the back.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try Braking Semi Metallic brake shoes and a solid rear rotor. Use the 5.1 fluid and you'll be good to go. These items can all be ordered at www.enduroeng.com

This is the exact set up I have on my bike and it cured my problem.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Fred T
and a solid rear rotor.

The solid rear rotor would just make the problem worse. They work great in mud and quite often help extend pad life but they do not get rid of heat very well.

Arlis

Nov 17, 2000
I primarily ride enduros here in Texas and have a lot of experience with boiling brake fluid, especially in tight woods and in arid areas.

I agree with most of the advice here but the main thing I do to combat this problem is bleed the brakes every 2-3 rides and use Motul 5.1 brake fluid. You will notice that the first few pumps of fluid out of the brake caliper will be darker than fresh fluid.

Also, note that solid rotors will not dissipate heat as well as a stock slotted rotor will.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
If you haven't already done it, I would suggest you try lowering your brake pedal some too if the change in setup doesn't bother you, you might be dragging the pedal between corners. I like to run my pedal high so that it is right there but I have heated up the rear brake with this setup also.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Layton

The solid rear rotor would just make the problem worse. They work great in mud and quite often help extend pad life but they do not get rid of heat very well.

Layton
Take a look at Lafferty's bike and see what he uses, if you drag brakes more than him than I would be amazed.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I stand by what I said. The solid rotor does not get rid of heat very well.

Laffrety probably feels the extended pad life is worth the trade off.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Laffrety probably feels the extended pad life is worth the trade off.

Actually, he changes brake pads at resets and gas stops during an Enduro. He has the quick change brake pad pin and can change them in 30 seconds. He could care less about pad life other than they make it through a section. I am only adamant about this because people that have not tried it argue that it won't work. I only used Lafferty because I know for a fact that he is about as hard on brakes as anyone I know of so if it works for him it should for anybody I would think.
Here is the formula:
EE solid rear disc rotor with Braking Semi Metallic pads and Motul 5.1 brake fluid. Try it - it works. I know that it shouldn't, but it does.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Fred T

I am only adamant about this because people that have not tried it argue that it won't work.

Me too! :) I have tried it and the solid rotor did heat the brakes up more.

This could end up like the "what kind of oil should I run" threads so lets just agree that we don't agree and let it go at that. ;)

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Me too! :) I have tried it and the solid rotor did heat the brakes up more.

This could end up like the "what kind of oil should I run" threads so lets just agree that we don't agree and let it go at that. ;)

OK, we agree to disagree. It works for me and not for you. (You did use semi metallic shoes right?)

Top Bottom