sethdog

Oct 22, 2012
I'd like to use a stock '01 cr250r as a trail bike on state land gravel roads. I have a dr650se and it's heavy off road. My concern is the CR's maintenance schedule, requiring valve decarbinizing, new reed valve, chain, fork oil, and rings at 7.5 hours, piston pin and rod bearings at 22.5 hours. Do these requirements fall off at all when the bike isn't used in competition? What to expect if I stay under 25mph?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I like the 125 two smokers but went to 250 to avoid frequent piston changes. The 125 need piston changes @ 10 to 15 hours if you ride them as they are ment to be ridden. High rpms.

I would not bother with ring changes @ 7.5 hours and the upper con rod bearing you don't even have to change that frequently. Althoug they are not so expensive and in most piston kits they are a part of the kit.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
You can go thirty hours easy on the top end. I race harescrambles all year on a top end. I don't see that bike going on slow trail rides though. I use mine once to cut trails one time it just loaded up all the time. Went back to using the pit bike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On gravel roads, the '01 CR250R will be a hoot. I think you will love it compared to you DR.

The maintenance schedule for MX racing is way over the top. You won't need to come anywhere close to that.

The '92 - '01 CR250 power valve design is excellent and does not tend to carbon up much at all (I had a '99).

When you do remove the cylinder for whatever reason, there is a fork and a pin that have to line up just right, or the powervalve won't work. Not real tricky, just a step you need to watch out for.

Got to ride an '01 with flywheel weight on some single track once, and the motor was pretty nice. Stock forks were not very plush on rocks and roots.

I know someone who raced an '01 offroad and said it was pretty thirsty (used lots of fuel), and that the aggressive porting did result in shorter ring and piston life than some other 250's.

Last edited:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Run it!

I had a 1993 kx250 and it's bullet proof compared to 125's.They have two rings in the motor and rev less in peak levels.250's last alot longer in the woods then on a track.Just be car-full!Moto cross 250's can get away from you very fast in woods.That's why, I just bought a KDX200..The Bigger flywheel makes the power band more forgiving in trail situations.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The CR250 will do great on the trails. Soften up the suspension with the clickers and even lighter weight fork oil. Get it jetted and it won't load up on you going slow. It will have plenty of grunt to have fun with.

Top Bottom