ksp

Apr 1, 2003
I'm thinking my CR250 has a problem with the carburetor. I've had it apart, cleaned, checked jets etc, it looks OK. Bike is hard to start cold, I have to kick it 8-10 times. Compression on the bike is good. Also when the bike starts cold, with the choke on, the bike idles real high. When I take the choke off, it comes down quite a bit but still not to where I think it should be. After about 3-4 minutes, the bike idles fairly well, runs good and starts first kick when it's hot. Also, it seems as though fuel is getting on to the outside of the carb somehow, as it is always scummy/dirty when I come back from a ride. Anybody else experience this problem with their 02?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
My guess is that it MIGHT be lean on the pilot. My 2000 does pretty much the same thing until warm but I like to jet it fairly crisp. I sometimes tilt the bike over to get fuel to run into the intake to help start it easier when cold. Revs real high with the choke on til warm.

An air leak might do this too. Check your carb boots to make sure they are sealing on the reed, carb, and airbox.

I had a leak in mine but that is because I lost the rubber o-ring to the carb bowl screw. I get chain goop on my carb all the time...is it possible this is what it is? I don't know how fuel would get on the outside if everything is put together right and your hoses/gaskets are in good shape. Could be overflowing from wrong float level but it seems like that contradicts your starting problem.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I have an 02 CR250 and have experienced the same thing as you.  However, the bike should idle higher with the choke on and slow when you take the choke off.  Every bike I have ever had does that, so I don't think that is a problem.  In cold temps mine will take about 5 or 6 kicks to start if I don't lean it over to get fuel into the bowl.  I still have the stock jetting, but have an S8 nozzle on order.  How does your plug look?  That will be the indicator of a jetting issue, not how it idles.  My 2 strokes have never idled, I have always heard it was due to the slow speed circuits in the carbs, they aren't made to idle and will load up at low rpm's no matter what you do.

Do a search for CR250 jetting (the search engine on this site won't let you do an 02 search, says not enough letters) and you will see many posts on jetting.  The guys over at Service Honda are close to me and they seem to think that with a stock bike just changing to the S8 nozzle is all I will need so I am waiting on mine to come in.  I haven't had any issues with fouled plugs, but it is rich on the bottom.

fastnature

Aug 20, 2002
My bike does the same thing. It is hard to start the first time of the day. When i mean hard to start I mean like 20 to 25 kicks to get it started. Once it has been started it starts the first kick every time. It is just the first time that you start it that day. So any light that you can shine on the subject would be nice.
Thanks

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks guys for the help so far. I suppose there could be an air leak somewhere. I havn't checked the size of my pilot but my main is a 400. (I know this has nothing to do with it because it is a low rpm condition) I might try to go up one size on the pilot and see what happens. When the bike "high idles" with the choke on, it revs to about 3,000-4,000rpm (I would guess) which is faster than I like to run a stone cold engine. I have also had many two stroke MX bikes and have not experienced this before. I have also never had to kick any of my two strokes this many times to get them started. As I remember, with the choke on, the idle would go up SLIGHTLY, then when pushed in, would return to a normal idle. On this bike, I will start it, push the choke in after about thirty seconds, and the bike will continue to run at 2,000-3,000rpm for a few minutes until the engine is warm and then idle at a fairly normal level. I havn't inspected my plug, but have had no fouling problems. I know the residue on the outside of the carb is fuel, it is not dirty or heavy enough to be chain lube. I'm thinking it may be seeping out of the overflow tubes as they don't seem very tight. I have a DeltaVForce reed valve and Doma exhaust and have been riding at about 6,000ft above sea level. I have had the bike about six weeks and bought it used. It has had this condition since I've had it. What is an S8 nozzle and what does it do?

tomoad

Jan 27, 2003
the s8 is a nozzle which the main jet screws into, its easy to install. and if you got an 02 or 03 cr 250 it will clean up the low end hesitation. or rich area , i put one on mine and love it. i also bought an s7 nozzle when i bought the s8 but found i don't even need it. the s8 is a sure bet..

port work
weisco piston
procircuit pipe
v force
buds race heads with mx insert

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
don't worry about the high idle on a cold engine. remember, it's not like a 4 stroke where it's revving before the oil gets pumping through.

you are lucky you aren't fouling plugs. my friend's '02 fouls plugs like crazy, even after we re-jetted leaner.

personally, i have always set my carbs to idle, with no problems on loading up, once the jetting is correct. if it wasn't made to idle, then why is there an idle speed set screw??

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Check and see what pilot jet you have before changing it. Also, what needle and clip position are you running? I'm at 4700ft and my main is a 360...

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
after fidling around with the carb on my 2002 cr250 for months and after trying every combination of jets possable the only think that made a big differance was the s-8 nozzle and them it still wasn't perfect(hugely improved though)i was VERY against race fuel but i tryed it anyway and after using race fuel i was able to lean the bike out and it still ran great and didn't want to foul plugs anymore all fixed but i can no longer run pump gas because it will ping and nock but for me it was the only way to get it to run right.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
I had the carb out yesterday and checked a few more things. the float level was way low, so I raised it. This may have solved the problem. I'm going to try to play with it a bit today, if not, Sunday for sure. My pilot is 32.5-stock and I would assume the needle is too, can't say for sure though as I havn't looked at it, or checked the clip position. does anybody have the part # for the S8 nozzle?

dodgeaspen

Dec 11, 2002
you really don't need a part number...just call Manchester Honda and tell them you want an s-8 nozzle for your 02CR250. It was like 20 bucks I think.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks again guys, I think the float level was most of it. It was cold today, about 45 degrees this morning and it started 3rd kick, it also didn't idle as high, and the idle came down sooner after taking the choke off. I think I'm on the right track, I may try that S8 nozzle also.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
I have the same issue with my RM250. I've leaned it out considerably on the pilot to get good low speed jetting in the woods when the bike doesn't work very hard. If I put a richer pilot in, it starts great but smokes and spooges on the trail. A different needle would probably help, but I'm too lazy to get that complicated :P Richening the airscrew also helps.

Throttlemonk

Jun 20, 2002
Originally posted by James
My guess is that it MIGHT be lean on the pilot. My 2000 does pretty much the same thing until warm but I like to jet it fairly crisp. I sometimes tilt the bike over to get fuel to run into the intake to help start it easier when cold. Revs real high with the choke on til warm.

An air leak might do this too. Check your carb boots to make sure they are sealing on the reed, carb, and airbox.

I had a leak in mine but that is because I lost the rubber o-ring to the carb bowl screw. I get chain goop on my carb all the time...is it possible this is what it is? I don't know how fuel would get on the outside if everything is put together right and your hoses/gaskets are in good shape. Could be overflowing from wrong float level but it seems like that contradicts your starting problem.

I just bought a used 2000 CR250, my first honda after 12 yrs of KTM's. I haven't even taken the carb apart yet but it is definitely running rich and has a good amount of spooge dripping out. What jetting are you running for a good starting point? Anything else I should be aware of on that year CR?

Thanks in advance

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
STock jetting is 48 pilot, 180 main, and needle clip in middle position I think for 32:1 gas at 1000 ft or below. I think this is for temps in the 60-80 degree range. Where is yours running rich and what oil/gas ratio are you using?

I have a 45 pilot, 178 main, needle clip in 2nd from top and running 24:1 ratio. Elevation is 600-800 ft, temps in the 60s. When the weather gets warmer, I will go to 42 pilot and 175 main probably. I also have the rad valve so that affects jetting some. Air screw changes based on how it is running at the time.

Watch the frame under the radiator shrouds. The plastic will wear grooves in the frame. I put two layers of clear number plate background over my frame at that point to prevent this. Other than that, I haven't had anything beyond normal maintenace that I would say needs to be watched. Clutch cable tends to rub on right fork tube, I added a cable tie. DON'T torque linkage bolts with ANY grease on them, they will snap..actually Honda bolts appear soft in general. Keep your linkage and swingarm pivot greased...my pivot was seized in the cases first time I took it apart.

I REALLY like mine....I like the 2002 too but I am not as attached to it for some reason.

bluebird

Apr 10, 2003
im new to bikes just got my first 1 a few months ago.02 cr250. im running the 370 main. runs pretty good someone told me to try a h1-72 needle out of a 2001 cr250 a 35 pilot and a 400 main. my manual dosent say anything about a pilot jet. it does have a slow jet.is that the same thing?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by bluebird
my manual dosent say anything about a pilot jet. it does have a slow jet.is that the same thing?

One and the same. :thumb:

Top Bottom