holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
li'l green meanie...

I picked up my '03 KX125 today and will be heading out to Racetown to break it in Sat morning. :yeehaw:

I was a little concerned that the little ankle biter wouldn't have enough boost, but after a short blast up and down the street, my fears were erased - this thing hauls :eek: . It doesn't have much right of the bottom (like most 125's), but it quickly builds into a fat midrange and wails from there. I was thinking that if I had a 125, I could hold it wide open, but I'd need an 85 to accomplish that.

OK, so I'm just a new owner, babbling about his new ride - and it hasn't even hit dirt yet. :thumb:

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
SWEET! Congrats on the new ride! I checked one out last week - looks like they made a lot of good changes on the 125. I can't wait to hear your ride report! Have fun tomorrow :confused:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Congrats Ron. Glad to see another 125 in the Wrecking Crew. Now I might have a chance at keeping up with ya at the track. Do you plan on riding it at one of the enduros or ya gonna leave thoes for the blue beast?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Congrats! Let us know how it runs on the track!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
cool, i think the KX's will suprise everyone this year and be the hot ticket.

bring it out to amago on sunday afternoon!

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Yep another 125 to keep Elk company. Im actually contenplating get the son a new Kawi 125 so let me know what you think.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Bring on the 2 strokers!:yeehaw:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
First, let me say that no man is complete without a least one four stroke. And KTMboy (you panty hose wearing son-of-a-gun), don't get your hopes up about the Bi thing.

When I got to the track, I found that an uncooperative left leg was so stiff that I couldn't shift (not from a crash - it's an age thing). I rode around in first gear for an hour until I loosened up a bit. This, and the fact that I have't been on a 125 two stroke since 1975, makes me an unacceptable evaluator. What will I compare it to? I'll post a little blurb in the Too Smoke forum anyway.

As far as using it for Enduros, I haven't decided on that yet. The low seat height and light weight are advantages, but I may need to find saddle tanks to get enough range - those little things suck gas ( I almost went over the bars when I ran out). There doesn't appear to be a convenient place at the front wheel to mount a pick-up for the enduro comp. Swapping the 13 tooth for a 12 tooth should get the gearing low enough. An '03 WR250 looks more appropriate for this job, but hauling around expensive toys with a 1200$ beater seems a little eccentric. The insanity has to stop somewhere :) .

By the end of the day, I was screaming through the gears and even jumping a little. Motocross starts could be a concern, because it takes very exact body positioning to launch from the gate on a 125. The first corner will be heaven though, just bang it down to second and hold it wide open
...bwaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Problem is, I might have a few big four strokes to weave through.

Finally, riding a 125 (off and on) for a year will extend the dirt biking experience. :aj: :thumb:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by holeshot
First, let me say that no man is complete without a least one four stroke. B]

Well Dang! :scream: You had me going for a while Holeshot. Glad you came to your senses. :confused:

Congrats on the new ride. You can pack that thing along with you on our trail rides in case your mighty thumper breaks or runs out of gas or sumthin. :scream: Oh, I forgot, thumpers dont break or run out of gas. :) :thumb:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ok Holeshot lets hear the verdict on the new 03 KX125. Is it everything that most think it is or is just repackaged to look new and improved? Im kind of wondering why they put all the changes into the 125 and left the 250 the same.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was basically a one legged rider for the first ride, so I didn't get a chance to really test it. I think any of the 125's would be a good choice - just pick your flavor.

If anyone wants to take a test spin, they're welcome.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by holeshot
...Swapping the 13 tooth for a 12 tooth should get the gearing low enough...

Try adding a few teeth in the rear instead. I put a 12 on our '01 YZ125 - and it's fine for the wife to putt around on - but when I get on it, it runs out of gears real fast. You're like, "sixth gear? wait a minute..." :think:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Congrats holeshot.

Man, I thought I was to big for a 250F, I 'm glad to hear you feel there's enough power on the 125 for you. The light weight and nimbleness should make it a blast. I too wanted a bike I could just semi pin it on, like when I used to ride a 125 long ago. that's why I went with the 250F. I don't spend a lot of time controlling the throttle, or being worried about looping ot on hill climbs.

My vote is for more big guys on small bikes.

Pretty soon we'll all race the modified 50cc class. :moon:

Have fun :thumb:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by swapmoto
Where exactly is Race Town? In SoCal?

Racetown is the old Sunrise track at Adelanto. Tim Ferry and Dubach were out there on Saturday.

Hmmmm -----so Donn Maeda has joined the So Cal Wrecking Crew. :thumb:

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Boodac
Im kind of wondering why they put all the changes into the 125 and left the 250 the same.
Bubba! :cool:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ok I read Dirt Rider Mag last night and saw what they said about the new KX's. Of course that mag never says anything bad about any of the bikes so whats the difference. It did show the changes made to both the KX125 and the 250. Still think the 125 got the best mods of the two. Im thinking BS is right Bubba is the key word here.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
That is cool ! I think you might like the 125 for the enduros - easier to throw around, easy starting. I can get over 65 miles out of a tank on my Husky - it's a 3.2L. With a big tank you would be set ... I might be able to help you with the sensor problem ... I actually over-drilled my caliper / mount and just mounted the sensor with red silicone. Took the tapping part out of the picture and it has held up fine.

That really is awesome ... I can't wait to check it out. Congrats!

Top Bottom