hfastone

Dec 16, 2009
I was talking to a guy at the track (Milestone) last week that recommended I switch the black box on my 04 to one from an 02, reason being the traction control system. Has anyone else done or know about this?

I don't have any problems with how the bike runs, I don't hear or feel it cutting out when I slide into a turn or go up hills. In fact, I have to use a lot of throttle control in flat turns to keep it from high-siding.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Traction control eh? That's a new one.....

It would be a timing thing. The CDI(black box) controls the spark. You might see a shift in the power by switching to a different year simply because of the ignition map. You might be able to get an ignition with selectable maps for your bike that would allow some tuning options and even has a handlebar switch to select the tune.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Traction control would require speed sensors, some sort of device to activate the rear brake and is not something that comes stock on any dirt bike I know of.

Certainly not something that you'd find on an 02 CR250.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Traction control, yes! Honda first started their traction control with the 97. It is on the rest also, but different. The 02 had an issue with the rc valve, they fixed that in 03. Eric recommends for the 02-04 that the cylinder and head be modded, with the v force and a top end pipe. Switching boxes sounds like a waste to me. Call Eric @ http://www.eric-gorr.com/, or Pete Payne @ http://www.heavydutyracing.com/ , they can fix it. Good luck with the wrist rehab, sure hate to hear that part! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I hate electronic anything, its not mechanical. Back in the 70's the boys from across the pond showed up with an extra button on the bars, it retarded(can we still say that word) the timing a tad for the start, less wheel spin, ie:traction control. Honda incorporated it into the digital ignition mapping. Out of 1 of Eric's books he explains it as monitoring the rpm change versus time. And my 97 was the worst, that figures! Pretty sure, knowing Honda, they patented it and got the trademark stamp. I am sure the curve changed over the years, and some worked better than others. He also tells the story how Mike LaRocco passed on the 02 & 03 engines and ran the 01. His manuals read better than Ludlum books! Vintage Bob

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom