Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
I'm gonna buy a 125cc 2002 model, but I'm not sure if I want a YZ, RM, SX. Either way I'm gonna let my suspension revalved. I really want a KTM because of it's motor. But is the handling really that worse than a YZ or RM? And how does a KTM jump? I also heard that the KTM is difficult to grip with your knees. I live in Holland, so I only ride soft terrain. I hope someone can give me more info about the KTM's handling/jumping in soft terrain in comparisment with a YZ/RM. By the way, I'm used to ride a YZ125 '99 and I ride about a year and a half now.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've only been racing a year now & I'm on my 2nd 125sx. I have never ridden anything besides KTM. Last week I had a rear wheel bearing go out during my 1st moto and with no parts available at the track I loaded up to come home. As I was pulling out of the pits a buddy stopped me and said to race his YZ125. My race was already staged so it was a mad dash to get to the line while they held the start. The YZ felt real short and I seemed some what cramped up on it compared to my KTM, almost like I was a horse jockey or something. The YZ had a big bore kit on it so it was for sure faster than my stock KTM but that's understandable. The stability of the bike was very good and the power was great (probably due to the mods). The thing I found most dificult was cornering. The YZ wanted to wash where my KTM didn't. I'm sure if I had the time to get used to the YZ it would have been easier than just jumping on it and going at race pace but I didn't have that luxery. To compare the two, I liked my KTM better but I think I could get used to the YZ pretty quick.

And now to your questions ;)
Both bikes handled very well in the air and on the ground.
I noticed no difference in gripping either bike.
The track I rode was well groomed soft - wet sandy loam which got very rutted after a few motos. Lot's of breaking bumps and stuff like that.

I think either bike will be fantastic after a revalve. I think also that after you get used to the bike you would like either one but they are very different to ride.

Top Bottom