ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Is there any evidence that running a 144 kit will damage the 125 gear box? I have an 04 RM125 and am considering that kit but I occationally read about gearbox failures.

Any first hand info or experience with this issue?

Thanks

yzwoods

Aug 2, 2006
What there talking about is the fact that the out put and tourqe to the stock trans will hurt it.
Could it? Yes. So could your shifting technique! If you shift with your clutch within the correct RPM range then it will not effect.
BUT....If you power shift and do not know the bike as in Listining to shift ranges then you will eat up gears.
My question is , What is your age hight waight and skill level?
More power and bieng faster on a 125 is a matter of practice and suspention. I don't know alot of people who can use the full power of a well tuned 125 in the woods.
New top end and reg maint and set sag. Then learn to be fast on it by practice! And if the bike is to slow....move up. But would not recomend without knowing more. Just my 2 pennys.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
I have a KX/KDX hybrid for "woods" riding, I am in AZ. I am 6 foot 180 pounds. In the AZ desert single track I use all the power and torque that bike has.

I could definitly use all the RM power off road, but the lack of torque for our terrain makes it a lousy off road bike though. When we hit the slow and go slippery uphill stuff if you break the tire loose, it's over.

Both my bikes have had full boat MX-Tech suspension revalve and respring btw.

The RM125 is used for MX. With 40 foot long 18 foot tall step ups right out of a berm there is only so much a 125 can do. It is not about being fast it is about a boost in power to clear things on demand. Should I get a 450 or 250 2s? Well, I like the weight and rider input hte 125 affords. I am a Lotus Elise kind of guy not a viper kind of guy. A 125 with more omph when needed is what I am looking for, I am not looking to go "faster".

I user casor at 30:1 jetted spot on.

Anybody else have insight on the 125 gearboxes and 144 kits. I understand Suzukis are not known for stonggear boxes either.

Last edited:

yzwoods

Aug 2, 2006
Yes. Concider a sproket change as a 125 is not known for it's low end. And changing will help put the power to the ground.
Never got the info on the rider so.....And a YZ125 stock can rip up the woods STOCK! I'v been riding for 30 years and on a 250 and i know its about skill practice and suspention setn up for you to feel comphy going faster! It's about bieng smart to make you fast. Not power ! Practice and learn.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I haven't heard of any gearbox failures from a 144 kit. I have heard good things about them though. As with any 2-stroke engine, you need proper porting. Make sure if you do it you have someone reputable do it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Have you considered a 250f? Handles like a 125, much better power curve. Much less forgiving if you slack on maintenance though.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Have you considered a 250f? Handles like a 125, much better power curve. Much less forgiving if you slack on maintenance though.

Yes I have but I like all the input the 125 has. The 250F seems a bit boring. Just do not dig all the maintenence either.

Like yzwoods says it is about practive and with a 125 it forces you to learn how to carry speed. There is no power to cover up sloppy turning and what not. I love that about a 125.

But with 40 foot long 18 foot tall step ups right out of a berm there is only so much a 125 can do. yzwoods is focusing on being fast but my interist in a 144 is not is going fater, it is more about power for my weight to clear nasty stuff. I see 125's do it with lighter riders (probably big bore kits)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I grew up on a 125, so I know how to use the clutch. I would suggest a 2t for a beginner so they can develop the skill to ride fast, not the ability to twist the grip. Once you have a pretty good foundation of skill the extra power and torque of the 4t is really nice. That is until you start thinking about how much an engine costs to repair if it grenades. The 144 seems a good choice for someone like you who wants to broaden the powerband rather than move it around. The 2t simplicity is icing on the cake. I like the idea of the KTM200XC. I think I may give one a try in a couple years.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ebeck said:
Anybody else have insight on the 125 gearboxes and 144 kits. I understand Suzukis are not known for stonggear boxes either.

Eric Gorr has built a whole lot of 144s and the following patterns can usually be seen. The Honda and Yamaha don't seem to care how much power you run through them. Suzuki boxes are dodgy at times, same goes for Kawasakis, but to a much lesser extent.

With Suzuki & Kaw, it seems if you get a good box it will work fine even with extra power, and if the box is suspect you'll know it long before you get the the point of building a big bore.

The torque difference isn't so great as to put that much extra stress on the gearbox. I'm a firm believer in rider "style" being a bigger contributor to gearbox failure than power levels on these engines.

144s really are a ton of fun. In my mind it's still the best bang for the buck bike you can build, and given how cheap you can pick up a 125 these days, it's really a bargain.

I hope this helps.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
I have a kx125 with a 144 kit. I rode it for one season racing hard and I know the kid who owned it before me put a couple hard racing seasons on it. It holds up fine. Change the oil and everything else and it should be fine. As long as you can shift right like already stated. I rode a stock 125 before I got this one and I can feel the difference. I think it would be a good idea for what you're looking for.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Had my 144 built in early 06. I've had no gearbox problems that I think are related to the 144.

I do occasionally catch neutral going from 2nd to 1st, but that's been going on for a long time (before the 144, if I recall) and seems to occur unrelated to any particular factor.

I write that off to a 6 year old tranny and Suzukis seeming inability to design a high quality gearbox (not that have a lot of experience with them, but there do seem to be an inordinant amount of complaints about Zook trannies and clutches). I just hit the shifter twice if I'm going from 2nd to first to make sure it's in 1st. That shift doesn't occur too often on the track. It can be a bit more dodgy in tight woods.

Top Bottom