TooSicKs

Apr 30, 2003
I've got an '82 YZ250 that needs a new power valve assembly. The previous owner apparently broke the part that bolts to the lever, as well as the case. I took the cover off and a broken plate fell out, and the power valve itself where it connects to the lever is squahed, dropped, or hammered. Either way it's no good.

Where can i get a new or even used but servicable power valve assembly? Is there a way i can lock the power valve in a set position or otherwise eliminate or bypass the unit?

I don't ride hard and i just need a stable bike to transport me around the mountains where my other vehicles can't go. Anyu suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide, as it is much appreciated.

Peace

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
Did you check your local dealer? You'd be suprized what they can still get(new!). If not check for a used bike of the same year for parts, or go to your local motorcycle salvage yard. If you really want to set it permently, I guess epoxy could do it. The position depends on the type of riding you do. Closed means more low end power and less top end power. Open means less(much less) low end power, but good top end power. So if you like to take it easy and rev it low, go for the closed position or, if you like to have it wide open all the time, go for the open position. But keep in mind that setting it with epoxy is a permanent fix and can not be reversed. I'd try and fix it with new or used parts(even machined parts) befor going the epoxy way.

SS

seabee

Jun 22, 2003
If you are still looking for the power valve check out www.bikebandit.com for old YZ parts, they have parts diagrams for many bikes and they can find the part if it is still in production. I'm in the process of putting together a 1981 YZ250G for my wife and bike bandit has helped alot.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom