Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
Recently purchased bike. Clutch pulled a little stiff. Therefore I installed a new clutch kit with both plates and springs. Still rough to pull. Went to put on a new cable and think I found the issue but not sure what. The acuator arm under the cover that the cable hooks onto seems to be way out of adjustment. When i pull on the cable the arm starts to come up like it's supposed to, but doesn't start engageing or spreading the clutch plates on the other side until it's about 3/4 of the way up. So i'm only getting about the last quater pull if you know what I mean. Here is where I'm stuck. Does it sound like it could be the rod that goes through the case could be worn so much it's shortened or something. Never really dug any deeper into a clutch that's why i'm at a stand still. Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Double check that you have the correct number of metals and fibers, all the other parts are there also, and the nut on the clutch inner hub is tight? The hubs could be that worn I suppose, is there a really sharp edge? I do not recall the CR having an issue with the outer hub engaging the inner, some go on 1 way, rotate it and try a different post. Does the rod appear that worn? It has bevels on both ends. Vintage Bob

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
Haven't taken the right side cover off yet to inspect anything. I'm 99% sure I put the correct amount of fiber and metal plates on along with putting it back together. I hope to get to this before snowmobile season so I will check what you said and post it back up. Thanks.

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
I'm back on this bike again guys. Last summer I rigged up the clutch lifter piece with another washer to take up the slop I was describing last year. By doing this, the lifter piece made contact with the pressure plate without having any free travel before making contact. However I did not feel comfortable riding another summer with it like that. I bought a new pressure plate thinking my old one may have been worn where the lifter end piece makes contact with the pressure plate. This did not help anything. When I take the pressure plate off and hold pressure with my finger on the lifter piece and acuate the acuator arm on the other side, everthing feels fine. The acuator where your cable goes engages right from the bottom all the way through the entire motion up. As soon as you put the pressure plate on it has the slop. The acuator pushes the rod and lifter end, but the lifter end isn't makiing immediate contact with the pressure plate. The acuator is already half way up through it's motion before the end piece is making contact with the pressure plate. Sorry for the jibberish, buts thats the best I can describe whats going on. Nothing looks worn. Rod looks good, endpiece and washer looks good also. I've never torn it apart further than taking pressure plate off and all the clutch plates. Any advise or help as to what my issue could be? Inner hub? basket? I really have no effing clue. Thanks

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
How about the clutch cable? Lubbed recently or never. Also an aftermarket clutch perch with lever can take away some of the pull.

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
The cable can be adjusted to take up the slack but then I'm left with about a quater pull at the handle. The probelm is beyond the cable. I saw in another post something about a torrington ball that goes in between the rod and lifter end piece. But I looked on micro-fiche and it doesn't show mine having one. That seems like it would make the end piece stick out further kind of like my rigged up washer did, but if it's not supposed to be there I'd like to find out the real problem.

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
I got looking at a micro-fiche and might have found the problem. It shows two fiber plates going against eachother. I was under impression that the order always went fiber steel fiber steel and so on. It shows 7 fibers, and only 5 steels. And 2 of the steels have diff part numbers than the other 3 steel plates. Does this sound right to anyone?

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
Any reason 2 of the steel plates have different part#'s. Are they possibly different thickness than the other steel plates? Damn I was hoping this was my problem, because if I take off the last fiber plate and put the pressure plate on the slop is gone and the acuator arm egages right from the bottom.

Green=Go

Oct 5, 2010
Any difference in thickeness? I am going to take some pics and post them. My basket has grooves where the fiber plates set. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not, and if not would that be causing this problem?

Top Bottom